Souring half of a brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing my first 10 gallon batch tomorrow (in the snow nonetheless) and my plan is to do a 10 gallon batch of a brown ale and splitting it into two different beers. I plan on fermenting with Nottingham then taking half and adding hazelnut extract to make my Hazelnut Brown Ale (the SWMBO loves this one). The other half I'm thinking of souring to make an Old Bruin-type ale. I'm thinking of using WLP655 sour mix in secondary, and aging it until the day I defend my dissertation (which will probably be about a year from now). This will also be my first sour beer, any suggestions?

I'm thinking of doing my first 10 gallon batch tomorrow (in the snow nonetheless) and my plan is to do a 10 gallon batch of a brown ale and splitting it into two different beers. I plan on fermenting with Nottingham then taking half and adding hazelnut extract to make my Hazelnut Brown Ale (the SWMBO loves this one). The other half I'm thinking of souring to make an Old Bruin-type ale. I'm thinking of using WLP655 sour mix in secondary, and aging it until the day I defend my dissertation (which will probably be about a year from now). This will also be my first sour beer, any suggestions?

What do you mean when you say sour a beer; what's a "sour" beer on the market I can taste?

What do you mean when you say sour a beer; what's a "sour" beer on the market I can taste?

I'm going for something similar to Petrus Old Bruin. It's not the most common style out there, but a lot bars specializing in Belgian beers will have them. It's like a Flanders red, but a little darker and maltier.

Since I'll be splitting the batch, it might not be as dry as a typical Bruin, but I've been jonesing to do a true sour beer for a long time. I've done a few farmhouse ales, but I'm pulling out the stops for this one.

Latest posts

Back