Souring Belgian Golden Strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of BCS's Belgian Golden Strong which fermented with Wyeast 1388 about 2.5 months ago, sitting in secondary. I wondered about souring 2.5 gallons of it, has anyone done this?

I have JP and Orval dregs.

I am pretty much doing that right now. My starting gravity was a little lower then that recipe I believe but it is pretty much a golden strong with low ibus. Reading around here it seems like with the higher alcohol lacto won't really sour the beer much. After like 2 months its starting to form a pellicle, I had a sample a few weels ago and it is definitely starting to get funky, not really sour though. I did add a pound of boiled maltodextrin to mine since the sacc fermented it down so low.

If it's already that low I might be worried about drying it out TOO much, but what the hell, it could also be amazing, and there's always maltodextrine. I'd say pitch the dregs into a small starter before pitching, but it'll probably work out either way. Go for it!

Back