Sourdough starters and brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
I was told by a friend that by having a sourdough starter present in my house all the time I am risking infection of my brews by the unwanted sourdough yeast. Is this true? Anyone else bake sourdough from starter? Any input is appreciated as always.

As long as you don't have it right in the area when you are racking or brewing I don't see it as an issue. I'm pretty tight with my sanitation so I don't have never had an issue (I like to make my own bread too and regularly have sour dough brewing up but not all the time). If you are aware of the danger and follow good sanitation there is not an issue.

Clem

I have two different sourdough starters that I've had going for three years, and I use one or the other almost weekly. I do all my brewing out on my back porch, but I make starters in my kitchen. I haven't had an infection.

I have two different sourdough starters that I've had going for three years, and I use one or the other almost weekly. I do all my brewing out on my back porch, but I make starters in my kitchen. I haven't had an infection.

I always wondered whether or not one starter could take over another. I know some friends that have multiple strains for bread, but they could never answer me this. My starter stays in the fridge most of the time, except about once a week when it comes out to be fed for bread. It is definitely never out on brew day, and I have never had any infections in the 4 or 5 batches I've brewed since getting my sourdough starter. Thanks for all the replies, was just curious about this potential issue, I definitely don't want any infected brews!

Sourdough starters are a combination of regular bread yeast and a lactic bacteria culture. So unless your sanitation is poor, you shouldn't have any problems.

I always wondered whether or not one starter could take over another. I know some friends that have multiple strains for bread, but they could never answer me this. My starter stays in the fridge most of the time, except about once a week when it comes out to be fed for bread. It is definitely never out on brew day, and I have never had any infections in the 4 or 5 batches I've brewed since getting my sourdough starter. Thanks for all the replies, was just curious about this potential issue, I definitely don't want any infected brews!

I never thought about whether one could take over another. I keep my two different sourdough starters in different refrigerators, and they are never out at the same time. One of mine is Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter. The other is one that I started with bread yeast. They are both clearly sourdough, but they do not taste the same.

They are both clearly sourdough, but they do not taste the same.

I think "sourdough" usually just refers to a wild yeast strain, instead of just instant yeast. That's why some "sourdough" strains are extra sour/tangy (san fran) and some just provide great flavor to your bread.

In fact some people have fermented beers with their starter.

Now that's something I would be interested in. We have a very good yeast starter that we've kept going for years. I've wondered before what would happen if you introduced some into beer.

A friend of mine said he had some issues when his wife would make bread and he would do his starters in the kitchen. It took him a while to realize that the sourdough was the off flavor, but it was an easy fix.

My theory is that any flour in the air will cause a problem, considering my sourdough starter was started off of only flour (king arthur, not even any fancy organic type). I don't do beer starters at the same time as baking bread or feeding the sourdough and haven't had any issues.

I think "sourdough" usually just refers to a wild yeast strain, instead of just instant yeast. That's why some "sourdough" strains are extra sour/tangy (san fran) and some just provide great flavor to your bread.

Yep. The one I started myself, I used just a little bit of regular bread yeast and sugar mixed with the flour and water to reduce lag time as a protection against undesirable organisms. But I left it open, covered with a towel, on the counter for a week while I continued to feed it. Flour and air (dust) has wild yeast in it, different everywhere, so that is what ultimately makes each sour dough starter unique.

Yeah I don't make sourdough as yet but I do a lot of lacto-fermenting in my kitchen (kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt, hot sauce, etc) and I have to admit I think it is only a matter of time before I get a lacto infection in one of my brews. I try to be obsessive with sanitation but you are asking for trouble culturing wild yeast, lactobacillus, etc in the same space you are brewing/fermenting/racking homebrew. But what the hell a sourdough or lacto infection could result in something amazing. Where I live the bigger fear is the acetobacter carried by fruit flies, nothing good can come from that.

I wonder if any vinegar makers or kombucha tea brewers on the board have gotten an acetobacter infection in their beer or wine. I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Back