Sourdough experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bread machine smells funny...in a good way! No matter how we try to clean the thing, it always contributes a sourdough bread smell to the cabinet in which it's kept. It's a rather pleasant aroma, and I'd like to make some bread that has that character. So...

I got a plastic tub and mixed in a cup of flour, a cup of water, and a teaspoon of sugar. I also threw in just a couple of raw kernels of Franco Belges Vienna Malt - it just seemed like the right thing to do. I put a fine mesh strainer over the top to keep the insects out but let the good(?) bugs in and placed the whole thing inside bread machine's cabinet. I'll wait overnight, then cover it and start a daily feeding routine for about a week.

It might just work...

stranger things have happened.
My sourdough starter began life as a little crock of flour , water and sugar -- sitting in my kitchen window in Monterey CA many years ago.

The bvtch still lives. Need to feed her tomorrow. :rockin:

Back