Source for Teflon Washer Replacements for Chugger Pumps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafmpty

Reaction score
Anybody know a part number for McMaster Carr that will work as a replacement for the Teflon Thrust Washers in Chugger Pumps? I'm looking for both the little one that sits on the shaft and the larger one that sits against the housing. Let me know if you've found these at McMaster Carr or perhaps another supplier. Chugger wants $10 plus $15 shipping for the "small parts" package that includes these along with replacement screws. I don't need/want all that. Just the o-rings.

Here's what I'm taking about. The top picture is from an actual Chugger, the bottom is from a March Pump but it was the only picture I could find that pointed out what I'm talking about.

Chugger-01.png

Chugger-02.jpg

I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything. I assume the normal March thrust washer will work for the Chuggers too (I have 4 but haven't tried them yet), but I haven't been able to find the rear bushing washer anywhere. Haven't gotten to the point of McMaster for it though.

I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything. I assume the normal March thrust washer will work for the Chuggers too (I have 4 but haven't tried them yet), but I haven't been able to find the rear bushing washer anywhere. Haven't gotten to the point of McMaster for it though.

I wouldn't have the first clue about what to look for let alone order from McMaster Carr. I assume the thrust washer is the same, but if anyone knows or has ordered something that works from anywhere on the net...let me know. Thanks!

I emailed Chugger to see if they can give me a better price (especially on shipping). I'll update when I hear.

Take'em to Home Depot or Lowe's where they have all those drawers of bolts, washers, screws, etc. They have nylon stuff in those drawers. You might be able to match something up? Have a look in plumbing aisle too.

I use McMaster #95630A470 with good results as a thrust washer... its a little loose on the shaft but I've gone through about half a dozen over the past 2 years and have had no issues. My march pumps don't have a washer on the outer housing so I can't help you there, but if you have one, I have some calipers to measure it with and can try and source from there.

Joe

I use McMaster #95630A470 with good results as a thrust washer... its a little loose on the shaft but I've gone through about half a dozen over the past 2 years and have had no issues. My march pumps don't have a washer on the outer housing so I can't help you there, but if you have one, I have some calipers to measure it with and can try and source from there.

Joe

Thanks for the part number Joe. The guys from Chugger said they would send me a few replacements. Once they arrive I'd like to check the measurements from a new set to see if McMaster might have what's needed.

On a related note, do you think the additional washer is even necessary if the March pumps don't use them? I guess it's for when the pump head backs off of the shaft a bit and hits into the outer housing so...maybe I answered my own question. I don't know.

Its possible, but the tolerances of my march pumps seem pretty tight, it seems to me that the additional washer would bind the impeller. Maybe the impellers are slightly different between the march and chugger pumps?

Just ordered the ones you suggested and the next size down from McMaster. Maybe the smaller ones will fit a bit better, but if not it's only $3 down the drain. Thanks!

Just ordered the ones you suggested and the next size down from McMaster. Maybe the smaller ones will fit a bit better, but if not it's only $3 down the drain. Thanks!

Check in with the size that works best.

The smaller ones are way too small for the OD, more like a lock washer than a flat washer. I suppose I should have measured first... The recommended ones look OK. Thanks for the tip!

I spent some time looking for replacements today. Here are my semi-accurate measurements, as I don't have callipers. I do have a feeler gauge that I used to estimate the thickness.

Small
============
ID: 0.260
OD: 0.500
Thick: 0.035

PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) Flat Washer, 1/4" Hole Size, 0.253" ID, 0.500" OD, 0.031" Nominal Thickness, Made in US (Pack of 50)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GHXWU6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Big
============
ID: ~ 0.800 (between 3/4 and 13/16) (~ 20mm)
OD: ~ 1.220 (between 1 3/16 and 1 1/4) (~ 31mm)
Thick: 0.035 (~ 1mm)

I can't find a great source for the big washer. The OD is the limiting factor here since the impeller magnet housing is molded for that size. This is the closest I can find:

http://www.seastrom-mfg.com/washerdetails.aspx?productNumber=5612-166-30

but they are $3 a piece, and you might have to shave some off the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to do this. This will definitely get us closer to our destination. :)

I can't find a great source for the big washer. The OD is the limiting factor here since the impeller magnet housing is molded for that size.

Mine has fallen out and is completely loose to the point where I have to balance it on the impeller and put the housing over the top of it when I re-assemble. It's molded (or at least seems to be), but I wonder if as long as it didn't flop around in the housing too much, if a size that "gets us close" would be fine...especially if we can find it for less than $3 each.

My items haven't arrived yet so I've not had the opportunity to use the calipers. We'll get this figured out sooner or later.

Got the larger Seastrom washers today. Two observations; first their OD (1.125) is smaller than the original Chugger washers, which could cause them to move around more inside the pump head. I'll try them out and see if they have issues. Second, they are thinner (0.030) than the original Chugger washers, so may not last as long. I think we really do want 0.035 or 0.040 (1mm) thick washers if we can get them. But apparently we can't...

I received new washers direct from Chugger. RiverCityBrewer took measurements with his calipers. I will tell you that these do not look like they are "professionally produced." They almost look like they are punched out of a sheet using a punch and a hammer or something. Here are the specs:

OD - 1.236
ID - .785
Thickness - .039-.040

Maybe this will help us get a bit closer to finding replacements.

Anybody know a part number for McMaster Carr that will work as a replacement for the Teflon Thrust Washers in Chugger Pumps? I'm looking for both the little one that sits on the shaft and the larger one that sits against the housing. Let me know if you've found these at McMaster Carr or perhaps another supplier. Chugger wants $10 plus $15 shipping for the "small parts" package that includes these along with replacement screws. I don't need/want all that. Just the o-rings.

Here's what I'm taking about. The top picture is from an actual Chugger, the bottom is from a March Pump but it was the only picture I could find that pointed out what I'm talking about.

Think I found it!

http://www.homebrewing.org/Thrust-Washer-Front-teflon-March-Pump-_p_2498.html

Would a March thrust washer work on a Chugger pump? I just lost my washer today and I'd like to order these asap if they fit.

Read the previous posts. You'll find your answer.

I assume the normal March thrust washer will work for the Chuggers too (I have 4 but haven't tried them yet)

I assume the thrust washer is the same, but if anyone knows or has ordered something that works from anywhere on the net...let me know. Thanks!

Its possible, but the tolerances of my march pumps seem pretty tight, it seems to me that the additional washer would bind the impeller. Maybe the impellers are slightly different between the march and chugger pumps?

All I've read were assumptions and possibilities. I'm placing an order today, we'll see how it works out.

All I've read were assumptions and possibilities. I'm placing an order today, we'll see how it works out.

The March pump thrust washers are not great replacements for the front Chugger thrust washer. The ID may be right, but the OD is not correct, so the washer's planar thickness is much smaller and they will wear down faster than the original Chugger ones. I too ordered the March washers and discovered they are not a great fit.

In any case, see comments #16, #17, and #18. I certainly don't read those as "assumptions and possibilities" given that I and others determined the specs on the washers, and I even ordered 3 sets to find the ones that work the best, and posted about which ones work the best in comments 17 and 18.

TLDR; the Amazon washer I post is a great replacement for the front thrust washer. The second Seastrom washer is the best match that I can find, and I did spend a long time looking for affordable sources. Unfortunately their shipping is UPS ground, which is at least $8 or so for a $2 part.

The March pump thrust washers are not great replacements for the front Chugger thrust washer. The ID may be right, but the OD is not correct, so the washer's planar thickness is much smaller and they will wear down faster than the original Chugger ones. I too ordered the March washers and discovered they are not a great fit.

Thank you! Your description of the March thrust washer is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't intend to imply that posts #16, #17 and #18 were assumptions. They are all very informative and I appreciate all the responses, but I was inquiring about the March thrust washer on a Chugger specifically and didn't see any definitive details regarding that until your latest post. Bobby from BrewHardware is taking care of me and I've got some Chugger washers on the way. Thanks again.

Thank you for posting this, my smaller washer is thrashed. Hopefully these do the trick and fix my rattling

Got my replacement washers in. They are closer than anything I could find in a hardware store.

Here is a comparison (chugger washer on the bottom left, amazon washer on the top right):
Photo%20Sep%2002%2C%205%2049%2017%20PM.jpg

You can see the OD is just slightly bigger, but the ID is perfect. Because OD is bigger it hangs over the edge of the spindle just a tad, but I don't think that is going to affect anything. Impeller spins nice on top of it.

For reference, the ones I purchased are the ones dcbw linked above.

I have 48 extras. I'll give 10 away to people (1-2 at a time) as needed if they send me a self-addressed envelope with a stamp already on it. Just pm me.

I'm trying to order some of the larger washers from Seastrom. Their web cart is broken. It looks like they had some custom shopping cart software written, I bet they are regretting that decision =P

I've given away a bunch of washers. Going to hold on to the rest but can't edit my post above. Hope that was helpful to those of you that received them.

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm interested as I just purchased the Chugger stainless heads for my pumps. IMO, not critical to get the inner diameter exact. Why? The PTFE washer simply provides a way to keep the metal of the impeller away from the metal of the stainless. Why is this important? Metal rubbing on metal causes heat. The simple PTFE washer provides the break. So, only the OD is important. For the thickness just don't get too thick to cause the impeller to stick.

The PTFE washer also allows the impeller to more smoothly spin.

Now, hopefully, we accept the OD being important we can search again for reasonably priced PTFE large washers for the pump.

I cut a small thrust washer (0.25” ID, 0.5” OD) from a plastic coffee can lid and it has been working like a champ for two brew sessions. I canceled my Amazon order.

My thrust washers have lasted 5 years, but starting to look sad.

Has anyone found a better solution to this?

I would rather order from a homebrew shop than amazon, and brewhardware.com is out of stock

Not totally sure the plastic in a coffee can lid was meant to take the heat produced by the spinning impeller.

Works fine. Three brew sessions. There is no heat from the spinning impeller. The wort/beer is up to 200 deg F but there is no other heat source of significance.

Back