Source for German .5L beer racks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fratermus

Reaction score
They look like this:

1987brewing.jpg

We always called them "beer racks". They hold 20 .5L bottles and stack very nicely. I have three of them that I brought back from Germany in my duffle bags :) but would like about 10 more.

Any know what they are called in German, or know a source to find them in the US? Ratty and ugly is fine.

You can also get the same that hold 24 .33l bottles ... even better :D
If there is really a need, I am sure I could get family to send some

Not a clue, but I could put you in my will

Right, my end result would look something like that.

For onlookers, the difference between these and milk crates is that these are divided internally so the bottles don't fall, bang, clatter. Even milk crates aren't particularly easy to find.

I made an eBay search wishlist for "beer rack" and we'll see if I get any hits.

Thanks for reading, everybody.

Well, sh*t!!! That's a different story! Divided milk crates?!!! I'll be goddamned! Now I must have these as well! :rockin:

Seriously, though, you will find these in the unlikeliest of places. I have noticed them behind Staples before. What they are using them for is anybody's guess...

:tank:

Look behind Grocery stores for flat undivided trays that plastic soda bottles come in. Might work for you, but they aren't divided, so there is rattling.

I bought 2 off of craigslist a while back. i search for beer, bottles, carboy, carboys, homebrew, etc. Sometimes you find something good.

Bier Kasten or Beer Box, IIRC.

And milk crates are Okay for 12 ounce bottles but the bottles don't fit as cleanly/snugly as a true kasten. Also if you buy a lot of bombers then you can forget about stacking the milk crates unless you lay the bottle down.

You recall correctly.

:ban::ban:

Whew!

Kai, you dunno how happy that makes me to read this.

I spent 3 hours hand chiseling and picking that name sake into my kegorator apron based on what I had found online using translators. Since then I have been afraid to ask a real german speaking person. (Grandma was German but has passed a lon time ago and the language didn't take with anyone else).

2247993488_d5f5642097.jpg

2247993642_40d0c79774_b.jpg

These are also known colloquially as 'spasskisten' or 'box of fun'. I had so many of these filled with bottles that they became a nuisance. Took them all back to the distributor for the deposits shortly before we moved back. I'd love to have them all back.

Last edited:
These are also known colloquially as 'spasskisten' or 'box of fun'. I had so many of these filled with bottles thag they became a nuisance. Took them all back to the distributor for the deposits shortly before we moved back. I'd love to have them all back.

I have 18 of them. I brought them back in my household goods in 2004.

Bier Kasten or Beer Box, IIRC.

And milk crates are Okay for 12 ounce bottles but the bottles don't fit as cleanly/snugly as a true kasten. Also if you buy a lot of bombers then you can forget about stacking the milk crates unless you lay the bottle down.

15818269125017230184147907737766.jpg

I use almost exclusively 22 oz bombers, or 750ml Belgian bottles. Since I couldn't find a crate that I felt was secure enough to hold my precious fluids, I started building my own. (NO! Not soliciting orders, my time is worth too much). I do have a problem with the 750ml bottles, they are too tall (with cork and cage) to fit in home Depot 12" wide pine. So for those, I build a separate top that prevents neck or cork abuse. That is a lid for one of those at the bottom of the pic.

Edit: and they stack just fine!

Last edited:
View attachment 666778

I use almost exclusively 22 oz bombers, or 750ml Belgian bottles. Since I couldn't find a crate that I felt was secure enough to hold my precious fluids, I started building my own. (NO! Not soliciting orders, my time is worth too much). I do have a problem with the 750ml bottles, they are too tall (with cork and cage) to fit in home Depot 12" wide pine. So for those, I build a separate top that prevents neck or cork abuse. That is a lid for one of those at the bottom of the pic.

Edit: and they stack just fine!

Nice craftsmanship! [emoji482]

Back