Quantcast

Sour Weapon P

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Andrew Hodgson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been taking a look at if there is a practical, potentially fast pedio strain to use that gives a bit more complexity than lacto but without waiting the normal 12 month minimum for pedio/brett fermentations.

I read through the MTF Pedio page and ran across Sour Weapon P from Bootleg, touted as being fast-acting at low IBU's (I would start with 0).

I couldn't find a lot of anecdotal information about this strain (full disclosure I am not on Facebook but I am sure there are MTFers discussing it on FB).

Has anyone used this in a mixed ferm as the primary LAB? There is one 5 star review on the product page that claims someone pitched at 90, let it fall to mid 80's and got 3.47 pH in 36 hours. This would be the relative time-frame I am looking for and I would hope to achieve a more "rounded" or "deep" sour than the normal lacto souring.

Also Bootleg has been cited as saying their pitch creates bacteriocins but then they combo the pitch with Sour Weapon L and encourage co-pitching for a deeper sour flavor. Maybe their particular lacto isn't affected by the Pedios bacteriocins?

Just looking for pointers/experiences for using this LAB. I haven't even bought it yet so likely won't get it until their first pre-order after summer but I like to have some type of handle on these things before I use them. If this is really a Pedio that people find functions like Lacto I would be very interested in playing with it.

brownni5

Reaction score
Watching. Curious about this one too, especially the purported hop tolerance. But that co-pitch thing confused me, too. I was thinking of pitching this into a long term project that is like only a little sourness in. Am also thinking of picking up next time it's offered.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for and I would hope to achieve a more "rounded" or "deep" sour than the normal lacto souring.
I suggest you give "Renew Life Ultimate Flora" a try. It gives pretty substantial beneficial flavor (when it's not boiled). It's widely available in drug stores and grocery stores. Plus it stores well in the fridge, for at least a couple years, even past expiration.

It gives modest fruity flavors at lower temps and more funky flavors at higher temps.

more complexity than lacto but without waiting the normal 12 month minimum for pedio/brett fermentations.
You've seen my process for making mixed Sacc+Brett+Lacto sours in a few weeks, right? ;)

Cheers

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Beerswimmer

Reaction score
I used it once, it gave a very "deep" sour that had no flavors. No lactic twang. No citrusy flavors from what I could tell either. I would love to keep a starter of it next time. I would use it all the time but it's not offered very often and is more expensive than plantarum.

I believe it's worth the cost, and next time I order it I will keep some and grow it so that I always have it.