sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raz30

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed Pilsner Beer few weeks ago, and started drinking it about 10 days ago. The beer is great and I'm pleased with the result.
On the last few bottels, the beer is starting to have a bit of sour taste.
The beer is stored at 5 deg C.
Is it possible is was infected somewhere on the process and only now I feel it?
or....?
I'll appreciate your opinion, and is there anything to do?

Thanks, Raz.

I described a sour taste in my brews and it turned out to be more of a cidery taste. If thats the case then its Lactobacillus. Gets stronger over time. I hope not but we will see what the brew experts chime in with.

I seem to get this sour taste as well when using Pilsner malt. My cream ale has been bottled for only 2 weeks but carbonation is nice. Unfortunately it has a sour taste to it as well. Not sure if it's contaminated because it's crystal clear at room temperature. Could it be diacetyl also?

If your beer starts out a little sour and gets better with age - that would be perfectly normal. Yeast create some sour byproducts and then slowly clean up after themselves.

If your beer starts out ok and then starts getting sour, you probably have some contamination. If it is still drinkable, toss them the remaining bottles in the fridge and drink them quickly. Pay special attention to sanitation with your next batch and avoid these storage issues.

If your beer starts out a little sour and gets better with age - that would be perfectly normal. Yeast create some sour byproducts and then slowly clean up after themselves.

If your beer starts out ok and then starts getting sour, you probably have some contamination. If it is still drinkable, toss them the remaining bottles in the fridge and drink them quickly. Pay special attention to sanitation with your next batch and avoid these storage issues.

Mine started out sour. I wonder if I don't need to add acidulated malt to my mash. It's definitely not getting worse and I'll track if it mellows out. Thanks!

Back