Sour starter and cider smell - infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shjbrown

Reaction score
I brewed a partial IPA a few weeks back, 4kg BIAB and 1kg of DME into 16L. Hopped with magnum, followed by perle, willamette and cascade in the last 20 min.

I made a starter using bottled split starter of a vial WLP001. The yeast was a few generations old, I made a 2L starter from the vial, split and bottled and fridge. Then with the last bottle I repeated the process with a new 2L starter. I've gotten a lot if good batches from the first generation. However, it is now winter down under, and the starter for this batch was slow to drop out. Five days total. After cold crash, the starter smelled a bit sour. I still went ahead and pitched as it was all I had.

Ferment started fine overnight, and seemed healthy. Just over two weeks it went from 1.071 down to 1.012. But now it has a bit of a cider smell and a slight sweet/sour taste. I'll dry hop in a few days and give it another week to clean up...

But what do you think? Starter infected?

Thanks!

It sounds like you might have a little something in there besides sacc. It might be a good idea to keep some dry yeast around just for this kind of thing.

Back