Sour Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has any brewed a sour Saison with Lambic yeast? What did u think of it?
My Saison only got down to 1.022 and I have some Lambic yeast laying around that I need to use.

FIrst off- are you using Wy#3724? That yeast is pretty finicky and likes to stick at a gravity in the 1.020-030 range. If so, rouse it up and warm it up a little.

I personally feel that tart and/or funked saisons are true to tradition as well as being some of the tastiest beers on earth. I like Brett B. in mine, which your lambic blend should have, but if you pitch that you'll be waiting quite a while for much of anything to develop.

If you're using 3724 or wlp565 you need to start it off around 95 degrees or so and let it ride out there until it's done fermenting, and you'll get a beautifully dry saison. Last batch I did I had an extra gallong that I racked into a Rossi bottle with some dregs from a couple bottles of Cantillon that has a huge pellicle on it right now, but it'll be a while before it's ready to drink.

Fantome saisons are funky as hell and are my favorites, so I say go for it.

Great style.

Were you planning to do a sour saison along, or are you pitching other yeast to "fix" a saison that has stalled?

Either way, I'd follow Dwarven Stout's advice and warm up and rouse the yeast and try to get the FG much, much lower. Otherwise you aren't drinking this one until next year.

Back