Sour Rice Wine - 57% rice, hopped with Fuggles, Saaz, and Hallertau with red dragon fruit in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frithy

Reaction score
Shabala -
Sour Rice Wine (17G?)
Brewer​
Date​
Batch Size​
8.000 L​
Boil Size​
13.678 L​
Boil Time​
2.000 hr​
Efficiency​
70%​
OG​
1.110 sg​
FG​
1.000 sg​
ABV​
15.9%​
IBU​
21.7 (Tinseth)​
Color​
11.1 srm (Morey)​
Estimated calories (per 33 cl)​
331​

Fermentables​

Total grain: 4.350 kg​
Name​
Type​
Amount​
Mashed​
Late​
Yield​
Color​
Malted Rice​
Grain​
2.500 kg (dry weight)​
Yes​
No​
70%​
0.0 srm​
Briess - Pilsen Malt​
Grain​
400.000 g​
Yes​
No​
81%​
1.2 srm​
Jaggery​
Grain​
400.000 g​
Yes​
No​
100%​
25.0 srm​
Weyermann - Pale Ale Malt​
Grain​
400.000 g​
Yes​
No​
85%​
3.4 srm​
Weyermann - Pale Wheat Malt​
Grain​
400.000 g​
Yes​
No​
85%​
2.4 srm​
Briess - Caramel Vienne Malt 20L​
Grain​
250.000 g​
Yes​
No​
78%​
20.0 srm​

Hops​

Name​
Alpha​
Amount​
Use​
Time​
Form​
IBU​
Fuggles​
4.5%​
8.000 g​
Boil​
2.000 hr​
Pellet​
7.2​
Hallertau​
4.5%​
8.000 g​
Boil​
2.000 hr​
Pellet​
7.2​
Saaz (Czech Republic)​
4.5%​
8.000 g​
Boil​
2.000 hr​
Pellet​
7.2​

Misc​

Name​
Type​
Use​
Amount​
Time​
Red Dragonfruit​
Other​
Secondary​
100.000 g​
0.000 s​
Red Yeast Rice​
Spice​
Boil​
50.000 g​
15.000 min​

Yeast​

Name​
Type​
Form​
Amount​
Stage​
Belle Saison​
Ale​
Wet​
0.00 mg​
Primary​
Voss Kveik​
Ale​
Wet​
0.00 mg​
Primary​
Kefir Bacteria​
Ale​
Wet​
0.00 mL​
Pre-Primary​

So, I want to brew a strong sour beer that is mostly rice. I plan to pitch the kefir first and let it go for a day or two and then pitch the yeast slurry. Also, it will be an open ferment for the first two weeks before moving to a closed vessel. What do you guys think?

Why don't you go the more predictable and proven way of creating a sour?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/
Maybe it's stupid of me, but I have this idea of an overly complex process yielding some type of magic; the nuances and things out of my control coming together to create something beyond what I could design on my own. Reality is probably more like it becoming a disgusting mess lol, but oh well.

2.5kg of rice:
IMG_20230213_182509.jpg
Rice soaking for germination:
IMG_20230213_182805.jpg

Maybe it's stupid of me, but I have this idea of an overly complex process yielding some type of magic; the nuances and things out of my control coming together to create something beyond what I could design on my own. Reality is probably more like it becoming a disgusting mess lol, but oh well.

2.5kg of rice:
View attachment 812728
Rice soaking for germination:
View attachment 812729
Ok.

mmexport1677242800735.jpg
mmexport1677242802913.jpg

So, this is looking funky as hell. The lack of clarity in the headshot is because of all the sugars that stuck to the inside of the vessel.

It's still uncovered save a cloth banded with a cord. I'm not at home, but my kids told me the whole room smells like cherries because of this thing. I double checked what I was hearing, but, yeah, they both say cherries.

I didn't mean this batch, how much experience do you have with brewing?
Going on week three. haha
I did "brew" some wine once, but that was just throwing cabernet sauvignon grapes in a 19l water bottle and letting them rot. They weren't even pressed. Though the wine was actually pretty good, I don't think it counts as brewing.

Ok, in that case I'll have to recommend something that you may disagree with. Try starting simple, with minimal ingredients. This helps you learn your ingredients as well as your process. It takes patience, but rewarding in the end. You'll be able to make your experiments with better knowledge and more predictable outcomes. That being said, there is still nothing wrong with going nuts with everything all at once.

Ok, in that case I'll have to recommend something that you may disagree with. Try starting simple, with minimal ingredients. This helps you learn your ingredients as well as your process. It takes patience, but rewarding in the end. You'll be able to make your experiments with better knowledge and more predictable outcomes. That being said, there is still nothing wrong with going nuts with everything all at once.
As a novice brewer myself, I'll reiterate that the KISS principle has aided me considerably. That being said, the end result you're shooting for is admirable.

So, it was sealed after two weeks open fermentation and now, after about a month or so, has started to clear up a bit. It still needs burped twice daily. Also, my boy said it's starting to get a pellicle.

Attachments

• beer2.jpg
    beer2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back