Sour Mix 1 not bubbling right away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_CHBS

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently gotten into the homebrewing world with a job I landed some months ago. I'm on my 2nd batch in which I'm brewing a raspberry Lambic.
After a nice all grain mashing, and an equally nice sparging and wort chilling, I pitched the vile of White labs Belgian sour mix 1 (which has an expiry date of Aug28) and to my surprise nothing has happened.
My first batch, a process which went nowhere near as beautifully as my 2nd, fermented right away and with such activity, I was amazed. to see nothing happen with this is confusing. I thought I would ask here to see if I had other options besides starting over.
Much appreciated.

I've never had a brew bubble right after pitching the yeast. Usually takes 8 to 48 hours for me to see any bubble activity in the beer. If you are talking about in the airlock, then sometimes I've brewed entire batches and never witnessed a bubble.

Whether you made that one batch on a falling barometer and the other batch on a rising barometer might play into it too. And many other reasons too like a leaky seal on the FV.

Bubbles tell you nothing valuable. Knowing what the SG was when you put it in the FV and what it's current SG is will tell you a lot.

Last edited:
Back