Sour Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunz

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and have been brewing since around 1993/1994. I took a break for a couple of years ago when I broke my wrist and had to have a few surgeries to fix it. I just recently started back and am truly enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Now for my question. I want to do a small sour mash (3-5# of grain 2-3 days prior) and add it to a normal mash profile. What type of beer style might this be compatible with? Would this work with an older porter recipe or maybe one of the Belgian varieties? I'm not sure I want to start using all the strange yeasts yet and thought this might be a way of getting some tartness into a Flemish Red or Brown.

Thanks for any replies.

Bunz

Look into doing a berliner weisse. I did one a few months back, soured half the mash at +\- 110 degrees for about 36 hours prior. Added the sour mash back into the rest of the mash, heated it to temp and proceeded as normal. Worked out quite well actually, one of the better beers I've made.

EDIT: Just realized I did some major necromancy on this thread, sour mashes are great though!

Back