Sour mash help! I forgot to save my grains for lacto..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I need help as quick as possible, I just started mashing in my grains and forgot to save grain to get my lacto. the brew stores are closed today and I am looking for an alternative. Can I go to grocery store and pitch organic wheat or oats?

I'll be interested to see the answers to this.

I, for one, can't imagine why this wouldn't work.

I would pitch a more controlled lacto source instead of just tossing in random grains, unless you really want all the pedio, brett, etc. if you have any probiotics around, use that. Or stop by the store for some nonfat yogurt or Goodbelly probiotic juice.

Yes, live yogurt or good belly are both the best sources when you can't get to the brew store. They are also better than grain anyway. Buy those things or pure commercial cultures or it's pretty risky.

I pitched organic milled oats at 115 degrees and 3 handfuls of oatmeal at 110. Seems to have done the trick. Smell is very similar to the last sour mash I did. I will post an update at the 3 day mark when I proceed to the boil

Update: everything worked amazingly, on day 3 my mash seemed to turn and the grain sunk to the bottom. The temperature read 115 and after stirring I had a reading of 131. I decided the the bacteria was already starting to do so I drained it into my kettle and sparged it. Fired up the burner and boiled for 10 minutes past the hot break with my hops added. Pitched Muntons dry yeast and 4 hours lately I had a great Krausen formed and quick bubbling in my air lock. Can't wait for this to finish. Gravity of 1.045.

View attachment 1441299589665.jpg

View attachment 1441299602748.jpg

View attachment 1441299618924.jpg

View attachment 1441299628927.jpg

View attachment 1441299638066.jpg

Just saw your question. This beer came out awesome! Fermented quickly and cleanly, adding the peaches fermented just a touch more. I cold crashed it, added it to keg, force carbed and served. Very little peach flavor at first but after a month it really came through. Sour was at a perfect level for the style. I will definitely brew many more similar to this.

Also, adding the raw oatmeal oats to the top worked perfectly.

Back