Sour IPA/PA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrenum

Reaction score
Anyone has a proven great Sour IPA Recipe? Could be kettle sour or barrel aged sour with lacto and dry hopped once PH is down. Let me know.
Should the grain bill be exactly like if you brew an IPA or should it be slightly modified ? I am thinking of mashing at higher temp around 156-158 to leave some residual sugar behind for my brett+lacto mix culture.

Thanks for sharing

Maybe I should add more details to get this thread going...
I am an experienced brewer looking for proven recipe. I can put something together but was curious to hear about others experience
I have a mix culture of brett and lacto that is pretty aggressive and can sour a saison in 4 months with IBU up to 20.

My plan is to brew a Pale Ale with about 18-20 IBUs let it age (barrel) until it reaches a PH of 3.35 and then dry hop before bottling

I have in mind a classic combo of Simcoe Mosaic and citra thinking of adding the hops starting at 20 minutes only since low IBU and would like some flavours as well.

Anyone tried something similar. Should I adapt the IPA recipe to fit this process?

Thanks

I tried to do a brett IPA a while back, didn't really come out great.
I want to find a recipe and try again sometime.
The one thing I've heard is that hops inhibit the souring bugs. Not sure how those commercial examples I've tried do it.

From my experience doing sour IPAs is to blends beers or Mto co pitch with lacto or kettle sour them. Bitterness and sour really don’t work well so I only dryhop these beers. I think what you plan will make a great complex beer but I’m not sure it will be exactly what you’re strivng for. Take Hudson valley brewing, who in my opinion are the best at sour ipa beers or hoppy sours and they primarily blend their beers

Back