Sour IPA, Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnarlySheen

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Its my first time homebrewing, Munton's Gold IPA. After secondary fermentation I noticed that the wort smelled a little sour. I tasted a bit and it tasted sour, almost like a cider. I decided to bottle anyway and has sat a week. I tried one and it was still sour/ cidery, almost like woodchuck. I figure It probably has a lacto infection so should I go ahead and pitch it or is sour beer somehow savable? I have a book that says that adding fruit could save it but have no clue how to go about doing that.....

thanks.

Sounds like your initial ferment temps were too high. Also,a lot of sugar in the recipe can compound this. Was there an amount of brewing sugar,or dextrose in the kit? Even that syrupy glucose can have that effect at high temps.

start your next brew asap while you do whatever you're going to do with this sour batch. i would dump it and keep brewing.

I think you fermented a little too warm, cut the ferment time short and ended up with a high amount of acetaldehyde, which give it a cidery taste. This beer needs more time for the yeast to clean up the acetaldehyde. Try it in another 2 weeks and see if it made a difference. If it has improved some, it will keep improving but it may take another 2 to 4 weeks yet.

Never dump your beer until you are totally certain it is ruined. Most flaws that you taste early on will go away with time.

Just bottled Munton's Gold IPA with exactly the same result. Primary and secondary fermented at 65-68F.
I'll wait 4 weeks and see if it's improved. I hate tossing beer out :).... if it is 'infected', any risks aside from tasting bad?

Latest posts

Back