Sour help-Roselare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregLand

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers, I need some help, I am attempting to do a sour, the beer has been on the primary for about 2 months now. My recepie:

4lbs Pale ale 2-row
4lbs Pilsen malt
2lbs wheat Red malt
1lb Victory biscuit malt
49 oz raspberry puree
Roselare Belgian Blend wyeast #3763

The beer produced the expected gravity and is souring as expected. I need advise on:

1. When do I add more puree? Or should I?
2. Is sour, can I make it sweeter a bit? How?
3. Is not Red, is supposed to be raspberry so any suggestions?

I have seen the pasteurization method. Right before kegging. That would help with making it sweeter but I am bit lost. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Btw, it seems the bacteria is very active now.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201010_091458.jpg
    20201010_091458.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
1) only you can answer this, because a) you're the only one here who can taste the beer, and b) only you know where you want this beer to end up. is it fruity enough? if not, add more fruit. be aware that adding fruit makes the beer more sour - you are providing food for the bugs, and fruit is acidic. once the sugars are fermented out, that acidity will pop through.
2) pasteurizing is an option, but it's hard to do on the homebrew scale. instead, i would look into adding a non-fermentable sugar: lactose, xylitol, etc.
3) no idea about color correction, never done it myself.

Last edited:
1) only you can answer this, because a) you're the only one here who can taste the beer, and b) only you know where you want this beer to end up. is it fruity enough? if not, add more fruit. be aware that adding fruit makes the beer more sour - you are providing food for the bugs, and fruit is acidic. once the sugars are fermented out, that acidity will pop through.
2) pasteurizing is an option, but it's hard to do on the homebrew scale. instead, i would look into adding a non-fermentation sugar: lactose, xylitol, etc.
3) no idea about color correction, never done it myself.

Thanks for the reply.

I will look into your suggestions. The non-fermentation sugar sounds promising.

And for color it does not matter too much, maybe I will add some raspberry and cold crash it to slow the fermentation of fruit, just enough to allow me to drink it.

Cheers

Back