Sour beers that don't need aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
Are there any sour beers that are best fresh?

I was thinking about making some probiotic brews, but I don't want to store the "stuff" for years.

In general most mash or kettle soured ales. You boil them after the 2-5 days souring, add kettle (boil) hops or dry hops to your heart's content.

Kettle-soured beers.

Specifically: Berliner Weisse and Gose.

(Traditionally-made Berliner Weisse and Gose require quite a few months before they're ready to drink, but even then, they require less time than most sour beers. Kettle-soured beers, on the other hand, can be good in as soon as 3-4 weeks)

I do a lot of kettle sours/sour mashes. Mashing a raspberry sour doppelbock right now!

Just some pointers:

Get a vessel that you can flush with co2 (i use a keg)

Find a way to keep this vessel at 100f for the duration (I use sleeping bag and heating plate)

Drop the PH of the wort to 4.5 using lactic acid before pitching your culture.

All of these things prohibit the growth of bacteria you don't want in there.

Last night I also built a lacto starter that I think will give me more control. I flushed the starter with co2 after pitching some grains and lowering the PH to 4.5. After a couple days I should have a nice strong culture of lacto to pitch rather than the unpredictability of a handful of grains which I usually do.

I hoping that pitching a bigger culture of happy and healthy lacto will also help to ensure that it gets a proper foothold and also sours the wort faster thus cutting down on wait time before boil.

Kettle sours are semi-simple and produce a sour beer in a few weeks compared to many months as with a wild Brett yeast.

You can kettle sour Gose beers with lactobacillus from Omega Labs OYL-605. I have also used L Plantarum (look for this strain specifically) probiotic caps from Swanson with predictable results. Make 1.040ish wort from extract or all grain, sour for 1-3 days, then boil, hop and treat as any other beer. Most kettle soured beers are low IBU so the hops don't compete with the sour notes of this style.

Back