Sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
So my first brew was a mr beer kit pale ale in January. It tasted worse than anything ive had in my life. Forgot I still had a case of it from 6 months ago. Just popped one open to try before empytying to reuse bottles. Holy **** am I drinking cider? Sour apples through the roof. It legit tastes like cider and is sour. Could these be infected? It was super low alcohol and bottled after two weeks with no gravity readings. Wouldn't these be bottle bombs if I bottled like that and sat for six months? Im afraid to reuse the bottles now.

Green apple sounds like acetaldehyde. Usually causes by unhealthy yeast or fermentation tempts.

Ya I know that can create it, but I mean this is like extreme extreme apple cider and sour, not a slight off flavor.

Green apple sounds like acetaldehyde. Usually causes by unhealthy yeast or fermentation tempts.

This issue will typically condition out so I doubt it

Sounds infected to me, cidery and sour and most likely they didn't explode because there just wasn't enough sugar to consume to cause it. OP, did the bottles foam out or appear over carbonated? How much priming sugar did you add?

At this point I'll assume you were well at final gravity since you didn't take a reading.

Sent from the Commune

They foamed like a mofo. Like I shook it up and opened it. No idea what I used to for priming sugar. This was like a geiser though.

Back