Sour beer not souring??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fab80

Reaction score
Hello, I made a saison last month using Belle Saison dry yeast and Gigayeast fast souring lacto. I pitched them together at 74 and let them ferment at 78-80 for 5-6 weeks. I opened the fermenter after 10 days and there was definitely an infection going on, like a pellicle braking like ice would do. The sample was at 1.001 and tasted very good, but it wasn't sour. I tried it again after a week and the pellicle was gone, beer was at 1.000 and wasn't sour at all. I had to bottle this beer today, because me and my wife are moving to a house :ban: and I'd rather move a couple cases of bottled beer than a plastic fermenter full of beer.
Now, I tried a sample of the beer while bottling today and it tasted very good, but it's not a sour beer, it's a great saison. Why is that, where did my 14$ I spent for lactobacillus go? Should I leave it more time in the bottles?
Also, I washed the yeast cake and have some more of this saison/lacto combo yeast. Any suggestions? here is my recipe, btw.

Partial Mash:

2 lb pilsner malt (@154 for an hour) in 3qt water
1 lb DME
3.15 pilsner LME (flameout addition)
1 oz Nelson Sauvin AA 12.6 (2 min.)

With most of the sugar coming from extract and most likely shorter length chains, I would guess the saison yeast ate through everything before the lacto had a chance. I'm not a sour expert (more of a beginner) so hopefully some more experienced sour folks will chime in, but to get enough food for the lacto you'd typically want a lower mash temperature on the grain

Also, could drop in some maltodextrine... Yeast cannot ferment it, but bugs will.
but honestly, even FAST SOURING LACTO, prolly needs more time then a few weeks.

I agree with 2 that putting the lacto in first would be a good idea. Saison yeast is really aggressive and probably ate through everything before the lacto even woke up. If you do it again try putting in the lacto then tasting it periodically until it's almost sour enough then put the Saison in to finish it up.

I know it's a little late for this batch but if you have a similar problem next time you can always add lactic acid to sour it up when you bottle. We did that on our first lambic and it worked really well.

Back