Sour Beer Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie Labbe

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a few questions for those of you who brew sour beer.

Are the following an issue for you or your brewery in producing sour beer:

1. Length of time to produce

2. Contamination Risk

3. Consistency in final product

• If so, would you be interested in a product or process that would reduce these issues?

• Would you be more likely to use this type of product if it was an ingredient added to your mash, wort, or another step in the process?

• Do you have any other feedback you would like to provide about issues you face in producing sour beer?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback!!

"Sour beer" covers a huge range of styles and processes. It's like saying "malty beer" or "hoppy beer".

Length of time to produce depends entirely on your process and the microbes you pitch. The fastest I've gone from grain to bottles for a sour is 3 days. On the other hand I have sour beer in carboys that's been sitting around 18 months.

Contamination risk is negligible in my opinion/experience. Clean and sanitize appropriately. Wild microbes die just as easily as normal brewers yeast. However if you don't clean appropriately, "your mileage may vary".
I use all the same equipment for both my clean and wild batches. I actually make mostly sours/wild stuff and haven't had any contamination issues in my clean batches.
Literally every brewer already has wild microbes in his/her brewery; we all deal with potential contamination whether we want to or not, and for the most part we successfully prevent it.

Consistency also depends entirely on your process and the microbes you use. Generally if you use the same process and same microbes, your results will be very consistent. (With the possible exception of spontaneous fermentation)

I'm not sure what "product" you may be developing, but I'm interested.
Making sour beer is pretty easy in my opinion. I'm not sure what could possibly make it easier.

Welcome to HBT

Hey all, I have a few questions for those of you who brew sour beer.

Are the following an issue for you or your brewery in producing sour beer:

1. Length of time to produce

2. Contamination Risk

3. Consistency in final product

• If so, would you be interested in a product or process that would reduce these issues?

• Would you be more likely to use this type of product if it was an ingredient added to your mash, wort, or another step in the process?

• Do you have any other feedback you would like to provide about issues you face in producing sour beer?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback!!

1. No
2. No
3. No, I'm not running a commercial brewery, and I do not care to produce the same batch twice.

As others noted, I have no idea what product you could be referencing that would help that does not already exist.

As others noted, I have no idea what product you could be referencing that would help that does not already exist.
As seen on TV:

Lactic Acid™
Make any beer instantly sour!
No additional aging!
No risk of contamination!
100% consistency!

4 fluid ounces for only $9.99 plus S&H!
But wait, there's MORE! Order now and receive a FREE bottle opener!

While supplies last. Some exclusions apply. Void where prohibited. Must be 18 to order.

Don't wait! Order NOW!

Last edited:
Back