Sour batch for blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I was thinking about brewing ~6 gallons of either all lacto, berliner style ale or a mix of lacto and brett. I would let that age and sour then pull as many gallons as I need to blend with different batches. The idea is to be able to brew a batch, and instead of fermenting that with lacto/brett, I could split the batch and have a portion as the "normal" beer and another portion soured. Also I would have a bunch of sour ale to keg/bottle at various stages in its maturation. It seems it would also be an easy way to specifically tailor the sour character of a batch.
Am I crazy, or does this sound like something that could work for its purposes?

pdxal

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it could work very well. Many breweries do this. You can also continue to add fresh, unfermented, wort at times too so that you can maintain it. This is called a solera.

ny101

Reaction score
The only thing I would be concerned about would be that when you add the sour beer back to the original beer, you are essentially infecting the original beer with lacto + brett. This will cause additional fermentation, I would think, which will probably still take a significant amount of time.

I suppose if you had a way to pasteurize the "sour" beer or a pressure relief setup for your kegs, it might work out OK.