Sour / acidic taste maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
How do you know apple taste like apple?
You were told, here, this is an apple, you tasted it, and now, you know what apple taste like.

There in lies the problem with homebrew off flavor identification, or desired favor identification.

Training your palate, your senses to "know" what a flavor is, requires a control, a known to train with.

Off flavors once identified correctly, and linked to a brewing process misstep can easily be corrected..

But what to do, when can not identify the off flavor?

In example, in my last 3 batches i have been dissatisfied with the results, while others have liked them, i find them to have flavors and feel that is not desirable.. likely it is something I'm doing in the process or recipe used.

15 beers since June, 10 have been good, 1 all but undrinkable (fusel alcohols due to high ferm temps), and 3 have a common flavor I "think" is sour..

One troubleshooting guide says this about sour / acidic

Sour/Acidic: Sensation generally perceived on the sides of the tongue sort of like with lemon juice or sour candy.

Introduction of lactobacillus, acetobacter and other acid forming bacteria.
I saw no sign of infection
Too much refined sugar.
none was used
Addition of citric acid.
none was used
Excessive ascorbic acid. (Vitamin C)
none was used
Mashing too long promotes bacterial growth and acid byproducts in mash
These were partial mash, 60 min. held strictly at 152-154 deg f
Bacteria in wort, fermentation.
Maybe, but no visible sign of infection, and no smells from wort or beer other than ..well beer.
Excessive fermentation temperatures promotes bacterial growth.
No.. ferm chamber temps were at the low end of yeast temp range.
Bacteria harbored in scratched surfaces of plastic, glass, stainless, improper welds, valves, spigots, gaskets, discolored plastic.
Maybe, but no visible sign of infection, and no smells from wort or beer other than ..well beer.
Use of wooden spoon in cooled wort or fermentation.
Nope, stainless steel, and spoon remains in starsan when not in the wort stirring
Storage at warm temperatures.
Nope, wort cooled from boil to 66~68 deg in under 18 min, yeast pitched and into a tempo controlled ferm chamber, then racked to kegs and into a keezer it gos, cooled to 2.2c
Unsanitary bottles or keg.
Maybe, but no visible sign of infection, and no smells from wort or beer other than ..well beer. I clean everything in C-Bright at the recommended dilution as measured by a digital scale. Anything that touches cooled wort or beer has been treated with starsan at the recommended dilution and time .
I thought it might be the local water, so last two batches (cottage ale, honey wheat ale) I used Ozark spring water.

Any ideas on guides / ways to better ID off flavors?
Any suggestions.. going under the assumption I ID'ed the flavor correctly (sour) and based on my responses above?

Thanks

What types of yeast are you using? Are you pitching enough clean healthy yeast? How long were the fermentations? Slow to start? Sounds like it could be an issue with fermentation/ pitching.

Keep in mind that some infections that produce sour/acidic traits are not always visible, only by taste. Also keep in mind that everyone has a different threshold of detection.

Can I assume the beer tasted fine after primary and this showed up after packaging and conditioning? Keg or bottle? Souring issues do not usually appear right away so it probably has something to do with your cleaning and sanitizing process going into and of your packaging materials. Tubing, racking cane, spigot, kegs, taps, lines, faucets, popetts, dip tubes, caps, etc.

What types of yeast are you using? Are you pitching enough clean healthy yeast? How long were the fermentations? Slow to start? Sounds like it could be an issue with fermentation/ pitching.

For the cottage ale.
No not slow to start.. had visible fermentation in 24 hours.

Chill to 65 deg in 18 min from flame out
Pitch Belle Saison Yeast 11g Dry Lallemand
Into the fermentation chamber at 17c for 14 days....
In fermentation at 19:30 5 OCT

18 OCT 2013
16 days later Sg stable
5 gal transferred to carboy
Specific Gravity of 1.007
added 1/2 tsp gel in 1/2 cup of boiled water.
off to the dark for a few more days in 72 deg room temp.
22 October 2013
SG 1.003
Taste is clean and crisp. No off flavors detected
Next check 24 OCT.
DONE Transferred to keg 24 OCT 2013, pressurized to 30 PSI @ 2.2 c for 18 hours, purged keg, pressurized to 12 psi

Sour taste noted at kegging..

Then more so 5 days later at first pour

For the Honey Wheat Ale .
No not slow to start.. had visible fermentation in 24 hours.

Chill to 65 deg in 16 min from flame out
Pitch Danstar Munich German Wheat dry Yeast 11.g Dry
Into the fermentation chamber at 16c
In fermentation at 13:30 6 OCT

25 OCT 2013
Sg stable
Specific Gravity of 1.002
Taste is clean and crisp. No off flavors detected
Transferred to keg 25 OCT 2013, pressurized to 30 PSI @ 2.2 c for 18 hours, purged keg, pressurized to 12 psi

Sour taste noted 5 days later at first pour

Keep in mind that some infections that produce sour/acidic traits are not always visible, only by taste. Also keep in mind that everyone has a different threshold of detection.

Can I assume the beer tasted fine after primary and this showed up after packaging and conditioning? Keg or bottle? Souring issues do not usually appear right away so it probably has something to do with your cleaning and sanitizing process going into and of your packaging materials. Tubing, racking cane, spigot, kegs, taps, lines, faucets, popetts, dip tubes, caps, etc.

Both tasted good at SG pulls starting about 15 days in... Sanitized beer thief used.. no samples returned, bucket not opened... Airlock stopper sanitized, removed, sample taken, sanitized lid around hole, sanitized airlock and stopper, reinstalled.

One keg has been used by me previously, the other is new to me. Both cleaned with C-Bright, then rinsed in starsan.

Lines cleaned with starsan.

So just poured a pint of the ABHS Honey Wheat Ale..... it's either growing on me....or the sour is not as noticeable.

First outsider taste is tonight.. and then a few more tomorrow.
The problem is, they are not able to articulate.. they like beer, so the know what they like..but that is about it.

I dont know of anyone local with an experienced palate and beer taster to try them.. Then provide good feedback. that can be actioned.

Are you sure your not tasting "green beer" or acetaldehyde? Green apples, somewhat tart perhaps acidic?

Sour usually gets worse and doesn't get better, acetaldehyde will condition out and relates to a young beer that may not have had a chance to cleanup during fermentation.

Are you sure your not tasting "green beer" or acetaldehyde? Green apples, somewhat tart perhaps acidic?

Sour usually gets worse and doesn't get better, acetaldehyde will condition out and relates to a young beer that may not have had a chance to cleanup during fermentation.

No Im not sure....I don't have the experience, the palate, the taste experience to say what Im tasting.. Im guessing based on text write ups.

And for all I know, what Im tasting is appropriate for the beer I brewed.

I like green apples, I eat green apples. What Im tasting is not green apples.

If this is an infection, caused by something I used to rack to the keg, or the kegs/ lines/ fittings..

I should expect it to get worse.. yes? That in itself may be a way to confirm what it is.....:confused:

E_Marquez said:
If this is an infection, caused by something I used to rack to the keg, or the kegs/ lines/ fittings.. I should expect it to get worse.. yes? That in itself may be a way to confirm what it is.....:confused:
yes, typically infections get worse, not better.

Outside tasting results..

The ABHS Honey Wheat ale is off for sure with a pucker not expected from a beer this style, though, by accident we found it became more palatable and sweeter if warmed up to something close to room temp,, perhaps a little cooler.

The Cottage Saison ale has a taste profile all three tasters expected based on my recipe, yeast, brewing / fermentation style.

Back