Sour/acidic taste help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnies

Reaction score
In all of my batches so far I've had a slight sour aftertaste.
I'm pretty sure this is due to infection. I use plastic buckets and make sure I clean them well - without scratching and sanitise with Star-san.

My yeast usually gets going after about <24 hours. I'm using SE-05 at the moment for my IPA. It's been going for 2-3 days and I can taste the sourness already.

How can I prevent this? One way would obviously to buy a new fermemtor, but are there other ways?
I've only pitched my yeast dry so far. Should I create a yeast starter or rehydrate the yeast before I add it?

Would moving to a secondary help?

It's a bit depressing spending so long making a wort and putting all the effort in only to have the taste tinged.

It couldn't be a bacteria infection as you stated. Every time you open your bucket you expose your beer to the open air which has microbes floating around everywhere but I could be wrong as I am new to this but I believe bacteria is the usual culprit lol.

It couldn't be a bacteria infection as you stated. Every time you open your bucket you expose your beer to the open air which has microbes floating around everywhere but I could be wrong as I am new to this but I believe bacteria is the usual culprit lol.

I havent opened my bucket since adding the yeast to the wort

I'd suggest transferring and let it be for 3 weeks. Do a taste sample then, take a gravity reading as well

Latest posts

Back