Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
corkybstewart

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Had some of the batch of soup made earlier this week for dinner tonight. When cold it was a bit gelatinous, in a very good way. Skimmed the excess fat off the top and added carrots into the simmer pot. I put some diced carrots when I make the batch, but add more when heating it up. I've found that sliced carrots don't fare well in the freezer. So no point in adding the desired amount into the original batch. Served it up over some freshly made brown rice (noodles are not an option for me). The smoke flavor/aroma is very mellow, but enough to enhance the recipe.

I'm hoping that the grocery store has whole (fresh) turkey on sale again after xmas (like they did after Thanksgiving).
We're in France for the holidays and hoped to have a turkey for Thanksgiving and for Christmas but at $6 per pound for a farmed raised bird we got one 8 kilo turkey and the farmer cut it in half for us. We ate the first half last week, then used the bones to make stock for veggie soup, we froze the stock for Christmas. We may do another Thanksgiving dinner for the other half of the family next weekend, or may do a smoked turkey for Christmas day.

Reaction score
OMG I forgot how much I loved this soup. Celery Stilton. We actually used blue cheese in place of stilton.
I.5 pounds celery rough chop - reserve leaves to garnish
1 leek - whites chopped
1 large or 2 small onions - chopped
Soften all that in a soup pot with a few TBSP olive oil
Add 2 potatoes (cubed) and a quart of vegetable or chicken stock
Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
Cook until potatoes are done
Puree with a hand blender and add 5 to 6 ounces blue or stilton as you puree
Serve with a fresh baguette
Edit - forgot one. A pint of cream when you puree and add cheese.

Last edited:

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Need to get another fresh turkey to use in another batch of soup in the next few weeks. I only have two containers of the first batch left. Those will be gone pretty soon (two to three weeks). Might end up making a third batch this season even. Provided I can get a fresh bird. I don't use frozen turkey because it's higher in sodium than the fresh ones. I can taste the difference.