Sorry to post again! Just a question about auto-siphon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrow

Reaction score
I know I just posted the Apfelwine thread, but I had a semi-related but not entirely-related question. When I use my auto-siphon, I seem to have a LOT of aeration going on. If mine is like anyone elses, it is just a tube you stick in the wine/beer and pump to get the siphon action. Mine I have to continuosly pump to get the flow, and I get a TON of bubbles while siphoning. What am I doing wrong?

Is the container you're siphoning from higher than the container you're siphoning to?

If it's not that, your tubing might be lose. Either use smaller tubing or get a clamp.

If your tubing isn't a perfect match for the autosiphon, you can get some air sucked in. I use a worm-gear type hose clamp to get a good seal. It also helps to give the autosiphon a couple pumps to push all the air out of the tube before you just let it run.

So if I get a clamp to make sure the seal is nice and tight, and I make sure I am siphoning into a lower container, I shouldn't need to pump more than a couple times, and it will do the rest?

Back