Sorghum, rice syrup & oatmilk NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy1015

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My wife recently has gone gluten free and loves IPAs, so I'm planning my first gluten free one after combing through this forum awhile. I've been brewing all grain for a long time, but decided to try at least one extract here first as I dip into GF. My plan is roughly 70/20/10 mix of sorghum extract/brown rice syrup/candi syrup. Down the road I'm expecting to use a lot of millet malt, though she's not re-intro'd millet yet from an elimination diet so TBD if it's okay.

Anyway - in the eternal interest of haze/mouthfeel, I was wondering if anyone had used oatmilk before with sorghum and/or BRS? I'm fairly sure that the oatmilk gets converted during its processing, so I'm thinking I would just do the boil with the extracts and then pour the oatmilk in towards the end of the boil, or at flameout.

So general plan for 5 gallon batch, using s04 yeast -
6lb sorghum extract
2lb brown rice syrup
1lb d-45 amber candi syrup (flameout)
32oz oatmilk (flameout)

0.5oz magnum 60min
2oz each citra/mosaic/amarillo WP
2oz each citra/mosaic/amarillo DH

How did this turn out?

My wife has also discovered the need to go gluten free, so I am beginning the journey of learning how to make a decent GF beer. We love IPA's and stouts.

How did this turn out?

My wife has also discovered the need to go gluten free, so I am beginning the journey of learning how to make a decent GF beer. We love IPA's and stouts.

I did a couple with sorghum extract and didn't love it so I moved into doing all grain with malts from glutenfreehomebrewing.com. I've definitely got some really good NEIPAs, haven't tried any stouts yet, but if you check a few threads down in the GF forum here there's some good insights on doing IPAs.

I haven't tried oatmilk yet but it's on my list to try soon because I think it'll work quite well.

That being said - the sorghum beers were still good and are a great starting point. There's some anecdotal reporting that using clarity ferm gets rid of a signature 'sorghum twang' flavor in which case that might be even better.

Back