Sorghum / Maillard vs. Briessweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
Up until recently the only sorghum extract syrup for brewing that I could find was Briessweet. I tried the Bard's syrup and liked it but could only get that with their kit so I abandoned it as an option. Now I see a lot of places offering Maillard's.

Has anyone tried both Briessweet and Maillard versions? I would be interested to know if they are essentially identical or if there are some differences that are noticeable.

I can't find any info on the Maillard Malts company. It looks like they may just be a repackaging of Briess products? I can't tell, but if you can find any more info on the company, that might help.

My first thought was also that it was the same syrup packaged under a different name. Norther brewer lists the Maillard as 37 ppg and Briesweet lists it as 35. I think I will purchase some and do a raw syrup taste test before brewing with it.

Back