Sorghum for flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
I've got 2.5 lbs of Sorghum syrup from North Carolina that I've set aside for brewing. I'm not going for gluten-free (I don't have enough for that anyway), but want to get some of that molassesy taste in my beer. I imagine it would be best for a brown, porter, stout, or other generally darker beer. The one time I had a homebrew w/ sorghum, it tasted dry and a little antiseptic. So I'm thinking I don't want to let it ferment out too far. Maybe an imperial stout b/c of it's high FG? Or what if I were to pretend that it was candi syrup and make a Southern-style Belgian dark strong??

Any suggestions on how to use this stuff?

This probably isn't a very helpful reply, buy none of my replies really are, so . . .

Have you seen George Washington's porter recipe?I think it's in Radical Brewing (Randy Mosher) and uses sorghum. Frankly, it sounds horrible, but my brew partner/son has been agitating for us to do a historical brew and this one seems likely.

My experience with sorghum beers is they tend to have a sweet aftertaste, which would work well in a stout or porter. I've got a sorghum Pale conditioning where I used 30% dextrose to dry it out. I'm working on a GF stout recipe.

Back