Sorachi Ace Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesbrewer

Reaction score
So I am experimenting with creating beers around some odd ball hops. Picked up some Sorachi Ace and Agentinian Cascades, both with lemon /orange type flavors.
I'm thinking this might make an interesting lawn mower beer.
Any idea what kind of recipe I should consider? i was thinking something light and low abv. Not a big fan of wheats, though.

I made an APA with Sorachi Ace and West Coast Cascades that won a small local compatition (7 brewers). I did follow your thinking and made a "bright" pale ale without a whole lot of caramel or roasted flavor. Hmmmm, it might make an interesting hefe. I know you don't like wheats but...I do :D

How about a SMaSH (Single Malt, Single Hop)? Use a good American 2-row variety, mash high, and add hops at 60 minutes, 20 minutes, and flameout.

Interesting....how about a 5 gal Smash, then split them in two and do the Sorachi Ace in one and the Argentinian Cascades in another.....
That would be a good test to compare the two and see which is better!

How about this for a Partial Mash 2 1/2 gal batch?
1.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 35.29 %
2.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.71 %
1.00 oz Argentinian Cascade [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
0.50 oz Argentinian Cascade [3.20 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Argentinian Cascade [3.20 %] (30 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Estimated 4.68% ABV AND 37 IBU's.

Sorachi used less hops but ended with 38 IBU's

Yuri is right. That would be fairly bitter for a lawnmower beer making it harder to pound down one after another. I did a lager with Sorachi Ace hops for bittering (FWH, can't remember how much), some EKG for flavor (20') and then 1/4 oz of SA at 5 min. 20-25 IBUs. It was definitely lemony. A bit to my surprise, the lemon flavor got stronger and stronger as the beer aged. You could do something similar, but an ale. Use your grain bill and then bitter with the SA, swap the Cascades (1.2-3/4 oz) for the EKG and use 1/4 oz. of SA at 5'.

I actualy might try this myself as I've got a bunch of homegrown cascade.

I've done a belgian wit with Sorachi Ace that turned out pretty well.
I brewed a big IPA yesterday (1.072 OG, 63 IBU) that included SA both in first wort and (peversely) at flameout. Sterling, Columbus, and Willamette came to the party too. We'll see how it turns out.

I ended up using Biermuncher's Centinial Blonde recipe, but swapped all the hops for SA. Had an IBU of 30.2 and ABV of 4.17.
Smelled very lemony. I have 3/8 oz. SA for dry hopping, but will test before I add it, may be too much.
Here's what I went with:
2.5 gallon bathc (too scared for a full batch)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.35 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.38 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.13 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (45 min) Hops 11.1 IBU
0.13 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (25 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.13 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [12.30 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Back