Sooooooooo who watches their yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
Just made a 1 liter starter of WLP001, chucked it on the stir plate, got it going..... ten minutes later im still there leaning up against the wall, beer in hand watching the vortex and didn't even realize i was doing so.... ummmm anyone else guilty of this? :confused::drunk:

I turn my stir plate on and off to generate more bubbles for my amusement. I stare at my starter wort on the stove until it boils, though.

Try turning it off for 10 minutes to let some yeast settle, then turn it back on and watch it all get whipped back up into suspension.

I should have watched my WLP001 starter I just made a lot closer. First stage when fine. 1L. Second stage - also 1L in a 2L flask... bubbled right on out.

Probably lost half my yeast. WLP001 is some beastly yeast. My last batch on WLP001 attenuated 85%.

Guilty. I love watching it. And, I also have been known like JonM said, to turn it off to let the yeast settle and then kick it back into suspension. Simple mind, simple pleasures I guess.

Then you can mess with the speed control and make the vortex touch the bar and kick up lots of bubbles ...

*knows not what you are talking about and carefully backs away from stir plate* What were you saying?

Almost as much as I enjoy watching my stiry plate swirl my starter, at some point I really want to build a full sized fermentation chamber to hold a couple of 6 gallon carboys...and I am really thinking I might setup a cheap webcam in the thing that I can stream locally so I can sit in comfort on my couch and watch the krausening.

I probably won't go that crazy...but I am considering it.

Haven't made a starter yet, have made a stir plate, have spent far too much time watching the magnets spin!

Hahaha awesome, knew I couldn't be the only one! It,s 7.30 in the morning here and I went to check on it, it's sitting in my ferm chamber, man it smells nice! Now I'm going back to play with the speed controller :D

Our 2 year old son points at the flask on the stir plate and yells "yeast, yeast!" . When it's empty he'll look up and ask "yeast?"

*knows not what you are talking about and carefully backs away from stir plate* What were you saying?

Almost as much as I enjoy watching my stiry plate swirl my starter, at some point I really want to build a full sized fermentation chamber to hold a couple of 6 gallon carboys...and I am really thinking I might setup a cheap webcam in the thing that I can stream locally so I can sit in comfort on my couch and watch the krausening.

I probably won't go that crazy...but I am considering it.

Been there, done that. And the software I used was also streaming live video that I could watch remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to do a 2 step starter for my IPA tomorrow, noticed the krausen was getting a bit high when I went to bed. The next morning as I was scarfing my omelet while brewing my coffee, noticed it had "blown off". Cleaned it up like nothing and went about. Wife texted me later saying it was making a mess.... I showed my brewing buddies at work like a badge of honor.

Just made a 1 liter starter of WLP001, chucked it on the stir plate, got it going..... ten minutes later im still there leaning up against the wall, beer in hand watching the vortex and didn't even realize i was doing so.... ummmm anyone else guilty of this? :confused::drunk:

Sure I do, everytime I take a bong rip right before I put the starter on the stir plate.

Kidding, of course.

Sure I do, everytime I take a bong rip right before I put the starter on the stir plate.

Kidding, of course.

I remember once staring at myself in the mirror watching my tongue roll off the roof of my mouth after a few Js... A stir plate would be more fun to watch:fro:

I've done this a few times. The first time I really kept an eye on it was a starter of 3787. Almost had a severe incident with that one. Now I've got one that is in the fridge not cold crashing and one that I just started for a backup plan. Impatiently checking on the backup plan because I'd hate to have a tertiary backup plan. That would mean that before the week is through I'd still need to pull off those other planned brews as well.

I just built my first stir plate and haven't made a starter yet, but I fired it up with some water and dropped some multi colored sprinkled in. My 5 year old son thought it was hilarious when I cranked it up to full speed and the sprinkles for some reason clumped onto the stir bar and stopped it. I would turn it off and back on to kick them off. This went on and on for way too long...

Back