Soon to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
In a week or so I'll be bottling my first batch of home brew made with the Mr. Beer kit. The question for today is, should I use the carbination tablets that came with the kit or, should I use sugar and let the yeast do its thing with that?
Thanks

Yes. There isn't any "right answer" to this as either way works fine. The carbonation tabs are really just pre-measured sugar pills.

Yes. There isn't any "right answer" to this as either way works fine. The carbonation tabs are really just pre-measured sugar pills.
Thanks, think I'll just use sugar rather then the tabs.

I have used both. If it's a batch I p!an to keg the majority of the batch, I use the conditioning tablets to bottle a few samples for my beer test dummies and have good results with them. If I am bottling the entire batch I use corn sugar.

You have them, why not use them? Of course it's a bit of a pain in the butt putting one in all them bottles. BTW it's cheaper to use table sugar and you won't know the difference from corn sugar except for the price and the amt used.

I'm a big proponent of the sugar cube/drop method for all my everyday styles. I just really like the consistency it gives after so many over/undercarbed bottles using the batch method. Anytime I really want to tweak a specific carb level I use batch priming but it's so imprecise

I’m unsure what type of tabs you have, but the carb tabs I have used in the past have over carbed the beer. Not to the point of bottle bombs, but definitely more sugar than most styles call for.

Hang on the plastic bottles that came with your kit. They are kinda cheesy to serve out of, but when you get glass bottles in the future they are useful. Fill one of them with beer, and you will be able to tell by squeezing if the beer is carbonated. Can’t squeeze glass, so you’ve gotta open it to check and drink flat beer if it’s not ready.

Back