Soo noob I don't get all the lingo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerHappy

Reaction score
So I am new to internet and forums and such so I don't always get all the abbreviations and customs. I just found out about this beer trading thing which I think might be a good idea. After travelling a bit and going to the GABF I realized there are some great brews that I have no access to here in CO. Ihave some fancy aged beers I am looking to trade and don't quite know about how to go about it. I read the trading sticky and pretty much got "do unto others" which how I roll. didn't know how I get into it all. Post what I got? What I want? What I definitely don't want? Look for people wanting what I got (beer wise, only my wife gets the other). Don't quite understand the MAW. So any direction here is appreciated. There are so many posts in here I don't quite know where to start. I know I am gonna get some "stupid NOOB posts" but thank you for those that help me out.

1. You have access to a ton of amazing stuff in CO, especially in the Denver/Boulder/FoCo areas.

2. Yes, post what you want (ISO) and what you have to trade (FT). For FT, you can put Colorado distro with most people seeing that as shelf beers available to you. Otherwise post what aged beer you have and people will go from there.

3. Listing what styles you don't want is good knowledge for the other traders so they can gauge what extras they want to throw in.

4. Since you are new to HBT trading, you will be asked to ship first to an experienced trader. Once you get a few trades under your belt with feedback tracked by this site you will be able to ship at the same(ish) time.

5. Don't ship USPS. Ever. Don't do it.

6. Get an account with the carrier of your choice. Print labels at home. Apply to box. Drop off without a word.

7. Read the shipping threads for hints to ship properly.

8. The MAW threads and variants have a 100 post & 90 day membership rule.

8.1. Basically only 1 person is up with their list. If you can fill two wishes off that list and meet the above, you can grant. Then you get to post a list. See those threads for more help (first page).

9. If you don't know the abbreviations just ask, this is place is much friendlier than some places. I don't think anyone will come in here calling you a stupid noob.
(Cough cough Beer Advocate cough cough.)

10. Stay away from the "What are you drinking now" and "trade pictures" threads. Those threads can turn you into a beer whore. Ask me.

11. Use the feedback scores for trading users to find a few users with a good amount of trades to work out the first trades. Other traders know who the frequent traders are and if you trade with them and get good feedback, you are probably ok.

12. Once again some CO brews (Crooked Stave, Avery, Casey, etc.) are more desirable than others.

13. Some people trade for shelf beers. Those you can buy off the shelf at your local beer store/grocery/gas station.

14. Others trade for stuff you have to buy at the brewery or is limited in quantity at beer stores and the like. See #12.

15. Have fun and be warned that this can become expensive very quickly. Take this under advisement.

Am I the only one that doesn't get this phenomenon of beer trading, standing in line for a $30 bottle of brew, or the insane antics of some of the hardcore traders?

I'm not new to craft beer at all. Just don't get the phenomenon. Probably a hobby just like fishing or stamp collection

Back