Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Well I decided I needed to bottle my strawberry blonde after it not tasting good at first then tasting alright a week or so ago. Took one sip before racking it and well it was gross as ever. Very very tart. Tried to add some lactose, no help at all. Guess this is to be expected when you try to make your own recipe and beer. So my new theory is leave strawberry's to chocolate and Ice cream. Not beer. Did manage to get my Hobgoblin bottled and it tasted great. :ban:
DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0311.jpg

I think most of us have had a dumper or two and recipes that just don't work. Crank up the pot & brew on.

...If you are not making mistakes you are not trying hard enough!

The CEO of VF Australia said that one. Personally I think it is sh1te but some people like it.

That was my moment of silence to mourn your loss. That must really stink to have to dump out a batch. My sympathies!

Chimone said:
....and to my dead homies

well better start planning another

Yep just made a an order with AHB. BP water into barley wine and my new house beer, A belgian Wit, that everyone likes.

Yeah, I have a raspberry beer, my second batch, that's been on the to-be-dumped list for a while (I just haven't bothered, I don't need the bottles). It's never getting drunk. The tartness doesn't go away.

Sorry for your loss!

the_bird said:
Yeah, I have a raspberry beer, my second batch, that's been on the to-be-dumped list for a while (I just haven't bothered, I don't need the bottles). It's never getting drunk. The tartness doesn't go away.

Sorry for your loss!

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I was considering racking it on to more strawberry's but figured It would be hard to get rid of that tartness. That and I just did not want to mess with it more, only for it to still taste like crap.

Ryanh1801 said:
Real ones 5 pounds.

I'll share with you what a fellow homebrewer told me to do when I asked him about using fruit and let me tell you my raspberry honey wheat is tasting great!

To start with, you should pastuerize the frozen berries (put in a pot with a little water, bring to 150-160F and hold for 15 mins). Let cool and proceed. I used to take them from this point and dump into the secondary fermentor...but I had a lot of problems racking to the keg, and even then, the poppets would get clogged with berry pieces. These days, I take some cheese cloth, lay inside a large funnel, and pour the berries thru....right into the keg! I gently squeeze the cloth, discard the berries themselves, and I'm done....no mess in the carboy or the keg!

As long as you don't go above 160 you don't have to worry about tannin extraction/geltin/etc. Stick with the middle (155deg).

Back