Sometimes a beer just cannot be stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
Temperature-controlled fermentation? Check. (in the midst of this action, measured 65.5* inside the carboy, controller set to 64*)

Ample headspace? Check. (Even undershot volume a tad, 5.1gal in a 6.5gal carboy)

Fermcap? Check.

Where there's a will to blow over, there's a way. (Granted, OG was 1.122 of wort mashed at 147*, so perhaps there was no stopping it)

IMAGE_1142.jpeg

Damn, that's crazy. Hopefully it's able to release enough pressure. You don't want that carboy exploding or cracking. That krausen is crazy dark. Damn!

How does the temperature rise that much beyond the set point. 1.5 degrees seems high. What is the hysteresis setting?

Not that it would have made a difference here I reckon. That is a beast of a fermentation. Great picture. Your chamber will clean up easy enough. One more benefit to using one. Looks good.

I think hysteresis is set at 2 or 3 degrees. I would think there's only so close you can get when measuring from the outside of the vessel when something is that active. I was happy it was 1.5* and not higher!

Hopefully it's able to release enough pressure. You don't want that carboy exploding or cracking.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing one like this with a stopper + 3/8" vinyl blowoff or a blowoff via a 3-piece airlock. I save the big guy for beers this huge. Though I should have started with a bucket instead of a liter mug for the dump.

Ha! That's crazy! I actually just had a very similar experience with an RIS I brewed. 1.115 OG mashed at 150F. 4 gallons in a 6 gallon PET carboy. I (stupidly) just put on an airlock and figured I'd "keep an eye on it." I went down in the middle of the night (just had a bad feeling about it) and the airlock was full so I tried to ease the stopper off to relieve some pressure and boom. Nothing like cleaning RIS off the basement floor, wall, kegerator, etc. at 2am! But it's down to 1.030 now and tastes delicious. Good luck with yours!

Latest posts

Back