something they didn't teach in homebrew school

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
I had to learn the hard way

you need to adjust your hop additions if you also no-chill

I would guess my IPA is 1.5x bitter than intended (55 vs 83)

1.00 oz Nugget [14.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min 29.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 13.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.80 %] - Boil 15.0 m 12.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m
1.00 oz Citra [14.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

I wonder if you mismeasured some of the hops. Looking at Palmer's chart, a 120 minute boil only increases bitterness by 9% over a 60 minute boil. Utilization tapers off really fast after 60 minutes.

bought each in an individual 1oz package

I recalculated using the table in THIS POST

No_Chill_Hop_Adjust2.bmp

which is where I got the 83 instead of 55 IBU

and by taste, even though it was only a week in the bottle, it is a nuclear hop bitterness bomb

Another week in the bottle and 2 days in the fridge and it's not nearly the bitter bomb I expected.

Quite tasty, in fact, but not the Fresh Squeezed clone I was hoping for

That table doesnt make any sense to me. Why would a 10min addition with a normal chill be approximately equivalent to a FWH addition for no-chill? And then a 5min converts to dry hop? There is going to be totally different extraction if somethign is added at boiling temps vs fermentation temps

Have you looked into hopstands? That's kind fo common ground between the two. I think youd need a good deal more hops at the flameout to get close to that beer

I've seen this chart before and cannot wrap my head around the logic of it. FWH instead of a 10 minute addition? That makes no sense.

I understand the thought process behind changing the additions slightly for no chill brewing, but this chart seems to try and oversimplify things in an entirely incorrect way.

update on this one.

more than 3 weeks in bottle, carbed beautifully, tastes great. not nearly the bitter bomb I was expecting, but a nice floral/fruity/grapefruit bouquet, balanced ale. still not a FS clone, but a very good beer.

entered it into our local homebrew club competition as an American pale ale and even though I got dinged on color (much darker than a max SRM 10 for the style) and bitterness, I came in third out of 13 entries

Back