Something great about home brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
A few months back, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. They weren't too sure how bad it was until some further tests showed it is in his kidneys, has already eaten part of his spine away( the pain from that is how they found it) , in his prostate, and in his bones. They gave him 6-18 months to live IF the medication worked...it didn't so he is not gonna be around too long. He drinks( drank) a LOT. And one of his joys is me bringing him some homebrew or wine. He would drink it then brag to all of his friends how his son made it for him. I sent him a case of mixed stuff this afternoon by my mom who was visiting. She called me to tell me he was all fired up cause I sent him some home made beer. Doesn't seem like much but to him it is a big deal. His family made shine when he was a youngster in the hollers of KY. I know its taboo to talk about on here but if I had the equipment and knowledge I'd run him off a pint just so he could have some that I MADE before he passes. he would think that was the greatest thing ever.

Thats awesome what something small can do for someones spirits, Im sure he will always remember that.

Good on you.....

A few months back, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. They weren't too sure how bad it was until some further tests showed it is in his kidneys, has already eaten part of his spine away( the pain from that is how they found it) , in his prostate, and in his bones. They gave him 6-18 months to live IF the medication worked...it didn't so he is not gonna be around too long. He drinks( drank) a LOT. And one of his joys is me bringing him some homebrew or wine. He would drink it then brag to all of his friends how his son made it for him. I sent him a case of mixed stuff this afternoon by my mom who was visiting. She called me to tell me he was all fired up cause I sent him some home made beer. Doesn't seem like much but to him it is a big deal. His family made shine when he was a youngster in the hollers of KY. I know its taboo to talk about on here but if I had the equipment and knowledge I'd run him off a pint just so he could have some that I MADE before he passes. he would think that was the greatest thing ever.

Good on ya

My grandfather has been fighting cancer for years now and loves it when I bring him some "grandpabock" as I call it (its really a maibock). A lot to be said for peace, comfort, and happiness in times of struggle. Love those close to you!

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad passed away 3 years ago from Cancer and my Mom 8 years ago from Cancer. That's great that you can raise his spirits with Homebrew and I'm sure it makes you feel good that he brags to his friends about you.
Hang in there and stay strong!

My thoughts are with you and your family.

I feel your pain brother. My dad passed about 6 years ago from Renal Cell Carcinoma (kidney cancer). By the time we found it it was pretty much too late. He lasted about 18 months from diagnosis which gave us tons of time to spend together which was great. I always tell people that I would have much rather gone through this experience rather than getting a call saying he was in a car wreck or something else sudden.

Thoughts are with ya!

Jason

sounds like he's proud father. you and your family will be in my thoughts when i raise a pint this evening.

Sorry to hear that about your dad, you and your family are in my prayers. It's good to see that a little homebrew can lift your dad's spirit.

My FIL whom is one of my best friends had over a third of his colon removed just yesterday. They also found what the surgeon believes to be cancerous tumor on his liver we are patiently awaiting the results of the biopsy. It's a trying time for the whole family.

He is also one of my biggest fans of the beer I brew, and like your father my FIL brags to all of his friends and co-workers. Sorry to hear of you fathers condition we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Back