Someone please, a little help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjordi

Reaction score
I started a few weeks ago with some simple ciders, still going great almost done with primary fermentation.

And also started a second batch, apple cider, fresh pressed. I added some yeast nutrients to the second batch… but it’s fermenting strong! Like too strong it’s bubbling out of the carboys through the airlocks and on to a piece of cardboard I set it on. What do I do????

Attachments

• 248441B8-38BE-412E-B2AF-7CFD556DCFCB.jpeg
    248441B8-38BE-412E-B2AF-7CFD556DCFCB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • D032CC70-FB01-43AF-8AD4-EB600375836B.jpeg
    D032CC70-FB01-43AF-8AD4-EB600375836B.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Wow. Congrats on your healthy fermentations.

Next time, put less cider in the carboy and allow more headspace.

This time, maybe just pour a little out, wipe down carboys, and let it continue with a tube ("blow off tube") running from the airlock hole into a bucket or large jar of sanitizer. (And I would just grab new airlocks rather than trying to clean out and salvage those).

Good luck.

Wow. Congrats on your healthy fermentations.

Next time, put less cider in the carboy and allow more headspace.

This time, maybe just pour a little out, wipe down carboys, and let it continue with a tube ("blow off tube") running from the airlock hole into a bucket or large jar of sanitizer. (And I would just grab new airlocks rather than trying to clean out and salvage those).

Good luck.
I was sure to leave plenty of head space but not too much. I’ve already dumped some down the drain and cleaned the air locks I really don’t wanna keep dumping brew :( it just keeps bubbling up more, any more and I fear I’ll have too much head space for the secondary stage when there’s less co2 from the cider

Looks beautiful!

Are you controlling your ferm temps in any way? How warm is the area (ambient temps) they're fermenting in?
A slightly cooler area if you have one, may serve you better. Try keeping temps toward the low end of your yeast's range and as constant as possible.

Those jugs are a bit too full as you've already noticed. Pour some out of each into another jug or vessel. You can cover the opening with some aluminum foil, and let that ferment by itself.

Sure you can rinse out those airlocks, and rubber stoppers!
Then resanitize with your sanitizer, such as Starsan, Iodophor, etc. before putting them back on.

You may want to put a boot tray, a thick towel or so underneath those jugs, to catch larger spills. It tends to happens when you're not looking, such as overnight. ;)

All advice so far is pertinent and correct. The blow-off tubes are in order and get those air locks rinsed immediately. The foam will encrust them if you let them dry and they become refuse at that point.
Run the blow-off tubes from both jugs into the same large glass. I imagine that the ratio is the same for cider but beer foam is about 25% beer. The only way to save that little loss is to build a Burton Union which I don't think is cost effective for two jugs of cider.

We have all been there. As you progress with the hobby you will get larger fermenters to house your entire batch. Then you will not have the blowoff out of the vessel. Have fun and hope they turn out well!

Well, just wait until it calms down a little and then swap out the airlock for clean ones, wipe everything down with distilled vinegar or Star San and you'll be fine. Then next time, just take everyone's advice here.

Back