somebody has to know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
Somebody has got to know about how long grain will keep for after cracked. Seems like everyone I ask says the same thing..... I never keep mine long enough to find out!

It's variable based on how old the grain was before it was cracked, how it is stored, and a combo of temp and humidity.

I'd guess a few months... but only as a guess.

Somebody has got to know about how long grain will keep for after cracked. Seems like everyone I ask says the same thing..... I never keep mine long enough to find out!

last time i was in the LHBS i asked the same question... i was picking up a few batches worth and had planned to keep one of the bags sealed up for a while. they told me to put it in an air tight container and it would be fine for 2-3 months. i do not know the validity behind that answer...

i used up my second batch after 4 weeks of storage without any issues.

That was more of an answer than I have gotten from anyone else so thanks. I would think that it would last a while as long as it is in an air tight container. I was hopping to maybe stock up for a couple of recipes. Thanks for the input!:mug:

I had a 5 month hiatus from brewing. Two weekends ago brewed up a batch with 2row from a bag of crushed grain i bought about 8-9 moths ago and it was fine. no difference in efficiency or taste. was kept in plastic that was put in an airtight bucket. the grain was still nice and crisp too. :mug:

Back