some temperature concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
so i've been having some issues with my landlord that i won't really get into, but long story short i'm no longer living at my place, however my beer in primary is. I have a stout in primary that's been sitting out without any temperature control for maybe a week and a half now and don't really have the ability to bottle it or throw it in a fridge at the moment. it's been in primary about a month and a half, should I be concerned about the temperature causing some nasty off flavors?

Only during fermentation do you need to worry about the temps...unless you're int heat wave and your place isn't air-conditioned, I don't know what temps are needed to skunk fermented beer. Good luck.

I don't know- everybody is saying temperature control isn't important after fermentation is over, but I sure think it is. First, the yeast will break down faster at warmer temperatures and there will definitely be some funky flavors created from sitting on trub at 80+ degrees, depending on how long it's like that.

Temperature control is crucial during all phases, but perhaps a bit less so after bottling.

I don't know- everybody is saying temperature control isn't important after fermentation is over, but I sure think it is. First, the yeast will break down faster at warmer temperatures and there will definitely be some funky flavors created from sitting on trub at 80+ degrees, depending on how long it's like that.

Temperature control is crucial during all phases, but perhaps a bit less so after bottling.

I was going to add a disclaimer along the lines of what you were saying.
I was going to say that the beer will "condition" much faster at higher temps. And once conditioning has got it to its peak it will begin to degrade. However I can't think of a better style for this to happen in than a stout!

You're right, I was implying that the temps were in the 70's, maybe 75F-ish which I don't believe will skunk the beer after it's fermented. High enough temps, ya, it will skunk it, like in the trunk of a car in 100F heat will.

I was going to add a disclaimer along the lines of what you were saying.
I was going to say that the beer will "condition" much faster at higher temps. And once conditioning has got it to its peak it will begin to degrade. However I can't think of a better style for this to happen in than a stout!

Yeah, but even though autolysis doesn't routinely happen I think it's a real risk in high temperatures. The reason it doesn't happen in a long primary for most of us is because of temperature control. If it was in a cool place, I wouldn't worry about it much. But in a warm place, that yeast cake could be exceedingly funky.

Yeah, but even though autolysis doesn't routinely happen I think it's a real risk in high temperatures. The reason it doesn't happen in a long primary for most of us is because of temperature control. If it was in a cool place, I wouldn't worry about it much. But in a warm place, that yeast cake could be exceedingly funky.

Agreed, thanks for setting us straight!

I've always heard that beer conditions 4X faster for every 10 degrees above 70. I've also heard that 92% of statistics are made up on the spot 64% of the time, so who knows.

Back