Some Serious Barley Harvesting Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifelee

Reaction score
The wife and I took this last summer. We had finished our harvest and took a drive to check out a new wind project when we stumbled onto the equipment of one of the big farmers in our area. That is over 1 million dollars in equipment.
Holy crap. Three new Case combines with 42 ft headers. That is some serious cutting power. Our one combine will do about 150 acres/day. I be these guys do at least 600 acres/day. I have no idea how the trucks keep up. Our one machine will keep two trucks busy. Anyway thought this was a great pic.

IMG_0724.JPG

I use to love playing on the combines used to harvest wheat in Hays, KS. They were big!

I also liked going to the equipment places and looking at what they had, especially checking out the price tags on that stuff.

We ahve the same thing in Iowa, just with corn heads on them. When we are pheasant hunting, the farmer will let us ride on them sometimes, to the other end of the field to save some walking. They are big!

Most of the combines around here are fairly small. The farms tend to be broken up into 40-60 acre fields by streams and hills. But, I remember harvest time in northern Illinois and the combines lumbering through the fields three or four at a time.

my parents have a barley contract with coors we run 38 ft heads on 3 combines 6 trucks running grain. seeing and seeing all that grain stored is ridiculous. get sick of it by the end of harvest growing up

Impressive machinery - both the combines and the wind farm. How do those giants go about dodging the turbines?

Back