Some recipe construction help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas_cty_shfl

Reaction score
I'm planning a beer inspired by one of the beers in the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 12er, Maillard's Odyssey (my favorite of the bunch). I use the term "inspired by" instead of "clone" because I don't think I have the brewing skills, and I certainly don't have the recipe formulation skills, to make a true clone. The Sierra Nevada website has some helpful info and notes some of the malts used: two-row pale, munich, caramel, chocolate, wheat, oats, and roasted barley. Primarily, I'm curious if anyone else out there has had the original and might have some suggestions of how these would break down for a 5 gallon batch (they also listed the OG which was 1.083). I liked the coffee notes that seemed to stand out in the original, so I'm also looking for some suggestions on adding coffee or not (the website doesn't say they added coffee, so I assume those flavors came strictly from the grains).

I just came across this post while looking for a Maillard's Odyssey clone myself. I haven't found anything. But I did make up a clone attempt (or as you say, inspired by) based on what information I could find. OG/FG match up closely, and I've got an approximation of all the grains and hops listed on the Beer Camp website. I'm going to give this recipe a try, but appreciate any input anyone may have.

I made this as an extract/partial grain. I've been preferring extract and BIAB methods lately, to better fit my own schedule (3 kids, 6 day work weeks, etc).

8.0 oz Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain
12 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining
1.50 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop
1.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.085 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.6 %
Bitterness: 40.4 IBUs
Est Color: 34.6 SRM

The Beer Camp website says there are 10 grains in the bill. I only have 8 in my recipe.. I wasn't sure what else to fill in with.

Back