Some questions on Lagering in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spivey24

Reaction score
I am trying to make a better Pilsner after reading another lager thread. I am usually too impatient and keg the beer after a month or so in primary fermenter and serve after another week. The last beer is usually the best.

This time I would like to do a better lagering. The beer has been fermenting with wlp830 at 50 degrees for 2 weeks. I’d like to raise it to 55 for a week then cold crash, then transfer to purged serving kegs. I will lager these kegs at 34 degrees for a month or so. So my questions:

1) Can/should I gelatin fine before transfering to serving kegs. I don’t want to fine in the kegs. Or is it not necessary. I did use whirflock in the boil but life happened and it boiled 15 minutes too long so not sure if it did any good being in there 25 minutes. Wort tasted fine So not concerned with the extra boil.

2) Do I pressurize or even carbonate before lagering? I will of course have to pressurize the kegs a little to keep them sealed, but is more better? I ask because previous batches have improved under full carbonation.

Last edited:
I'd skip the gelatin,, in my opinion it is a not worth it & has down sides , whirlflok will probably still have some effect.

Carbonation wise, I spund my brews these days, but before that I did a low level forced carb while beer was lagering. You could have a constant pressure line to it at propper CO2 levels. But me being kinda patient and knowing beer is going to lager for a while, just hit it w gas semi regularly until desired carb level reached.

1. Yes fine in the fermenter, and that along with cold-crashing should yield clear beer.
2. Yes, carbonate DURING lagering. The carbonation will not negatively affect lagering. Actually, as you mention, carbonation with help keep your beer oxygen free by pressurizing the vessel.

1) Can/should I gelatin fine before transfering to serving kegs. I don’t want to fine in the kegs. Or is it not necessary. I did use whirflock in the boil but life happened and it boiled 15 minutes too long so not sure if it did any good being in there 25 minutes. Wort tasted fine So not concerned with the extra boil.

I've gelatin fined my lagers in both primary and in the keg...both produced clear beer but nothing beats time and cold.

2) Do I pressurize or even carbonate before lagering? I will of course have to pressurize the kegs a little to keep them sealed, but is more better? I ask because previous batches have improved under full carbonation.

Yes, carb while fermenting, it definitely won't hurt anything!

Back