some over carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauscjm

Reaction score
Ill try to explain this as best I can but it's not making much sense to me. Made an english nut brown close to two months ago. Split some Mangrove Jack yeast with a friend. Let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and then in secondary for about 10 days I believe. After being in bottle for about 2-3 weeks it was perfect, perfect head, retention, flavor. One of the best i've ever made. about a week or two ago popped one open and it foamed up like a volcano. Let it settle and once I poured it in a glass it foamed hard again, settled out again and when i tried to drink the liquid it turned to foam in my mouth. So I put all of them in the fridge in an attempt to stop it. Now about every other bottle is doing that and the other half of them seem to be pretty good. any idea what would cause this, I've also got a pale ale that does this about every 5th bottle or so.

Ive exhausted every search so far and i use maybe 3/4 cup of priming sugar. My best guess now is that I'm storing too warm or something (about 75 degrees in my house)

I had a similar experience. For me, I think I didn't mix in the pruning sugar to well so that some bottles got more sugar than others. My other thought was that the foamy ones might be the last one bottled that ended up with more yeast. I've been doing a good gentle mix lately and haven't had any problems.

I'll be a little more deliberate with my mixing next time for sure and see what happens

It's either that you didn't mix the priming sugar solution well enough or that you have an infection in some bottles. Do you detect any off flavors in the gushers?

I have started experiencing this in my first AG porter. From talking in my Homebrew group, I think I am not cleaning the bottled well enough. Before my next batch I am going to clean with a bottle brush, rinse, and then hand sanitize with a vinator instead of the dishwasher routine. I am hoping it will make a difference, assuming that dirty bottles with old beer dried in them is setting me back

Back