Some lager advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneHands

Reaction score
I have an Oktoberfest lager at the end of a 3 week primary (OG 1.062, FG 1.016, used WLP 838). I used the "Igloo Cooler" method of keeping the carboy at or below 50, the bath stayed at 44 during high krausen by swapping out 2 qt bottles twice a day, keeping the beer at 50. This worked surprisingly well, I don't think the carboy fluctuated by more than 2 degrees throughout the day. My original plan was to ferment in primary, bottle, and "lager" after carbonation. I know this isn't preferred over bulk lagering, but I don't have a dedicated fridge just yet. I've gotten some more equipment since the start of the batch, specifically 2 of those 3 gallon kegs someone mentioned on here (but no CO2 setup yet).

My question is this, should I:
1. Rack to the kegs and lager in a small dorm fridge a buddy of mine offered up. I don't have any CO2 apart from a Genuine Innovations keg charger, I suppose I could use this to seat the kegs to make sure they're sealed. I'd have to rack out of the kegs and bottle later unless I get a kegging setup in the next month or two - not likely.
2. Continue with my original plan of bottling.
3. Bottle half now and lager half in one of the kegs and see what the difference is. (This is not my preferred choice).

What kind of results can I expect by bottling now and storing them cold after carbonation?

You might want to consider the kegs. 50+ bottles takes up a TON of space in a refrigerator. I'm sure they'll be great beers, but you might not be able to put your milk anywhere.

You have the kegs, use them. They are great as fermenters. Rack to the keg, and place them in the mini-fridge. If you can hit them with a little co2 from a charger, great, but if not I would not worry about it either.

IME bulk lagering is the way to go. And since you have the capabilities already, go for it.

Appreciate the advice. It looks like, as usual, no matter which I choose I'll probably end up with pretty good beer. I'm leaning towards the 3 gallon keg route, I'm going to find out if both kegs will fit in the fridge tomorrow. If so, it goes in the kegs, if not, I'm cleaning my bottles and bottling bucket.

BTW petep, which is more important, 50 bottles of beer or a gallon of milk?

I know how I would answer that....but then again, my wife may have a different opinion, especially when you figure there are 4 little ones (ages 3, 5, 7 and 10) involved in the equation.

Back