Some Keezer advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my this 10cuft Haier freezer for my keezer project. I can fit 5 cornies and a 20lb co2 bottle in this baby. Six cornies if I had a 5lb bottle.

IMG_4901Medium.jpg

IMG_4902Medium.jpg

IMG_4903Medium.jpg

I need some advice about which would be better...attach the collar to the lid, or the collar to the base. I watched Bobby_m's keezer build videos and see the benefit of attaching the collar to the lid, but the Haier freezer is a little different than the one Bobby_m used. Here is a photo of the way the seal attaches to the lid. It's a little hard to see, but it fits into a groove molded into the lid.

IMG_4904Medium.jpg

I bought the freezer specifically for this purpose, but I don't know if I want to use liquid nails to attach the collar to the base, although that would probably be the quickest way.

Also..what size lumber did you all use for your collar. I was going to use 3/4 x 5.5" poplar, but that just doesn't see sturdy or heavy enough. I plan on just painting it white for now. The ultimate goal is to make this keezer like Jester369's.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/index11.html#post684593

That's they way the wife wants it. And, what the hell right.

Same gasket set up I had. After cutting the gasket away I used 100% silicone to attach the collar to the lid and the gasket to the collar. The silicone was 1/2 the price of liquid nails and since its clear, small amounts that squeezed out couldn't be seen. Large amounts were easy to trim off with a knife. You wood choice should work great. The lid will add a good measure of rigidity to the collar. you can find finished pics of mine in my gallery.

If your plan is to make one like Jester's, I would attach the collar to the base. I copied Bobby's rig and I'm very happy with it. I used the 3.5" poplar for my lid.

How tall are you? Can you lift a full keg above the freezer height +6" without a step ladder?

I'm 6'2 and I put the collar on the lid of my keez. No need to worry about taps, shanks, lines, ect when you're swapping kegs.

I painted my collar first, then used white silicone for the seal to the lid. (I did screw all 4 corners to the lid) You see the silicone at all.

B

My freezer has the same arrangement. I did a double-wall collar and attached it to the freezer. This shows the basic construction and there are more pictures in my gallery.

2113-img_1295.jpg

I'm currently building mine and am planning on having 2 separate hinges, the factory hinges/springs where the Freezer base meets the collar AND a couple door hinges to attach the collar to the freezer lid. The lid will lock down onto the collar with some window sash locks.

I see a couple benefits to this:

1.) I can keep original weatherstripping in place & just add new stripping between collar and base. Sure, there's an extra seal but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

2.) I can lift up the lid & collar together if I want to swap out a corny OR I can lift up the lid without the collar to easily access air/beer lines. I will be routing my beer lines around the perimeter of the collar to keep it clean.

I believe I recall someone else doing something like this - anybody remember who or how it worked out?

I'm currently building mine and am planning on having 2 separate hinges, the factory hinges/springs where the Freezer base meets the collar AND a couple door hinges to attach the collar to the freezer lid. The lid will lock down onto the collar with some window sash locks.

I see a couple benefits to this:

1.) I can keep original weatherstripping in place & just add new stripping between collar and base. Sure, there's an extra seal but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

2.) I can lift up the lid & collar together if I want to swap out a corny OR I can lift up the lid without the collar to easily access air/beer lines. I will be routing my beer lines around the perimeter of the collar to keep it clean.

I believe I recall someone else doing something like this - anybody remember who or how it worked out?

Shameless bump...

Back