Some Keezer advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my this 10cuft Haier freezer for my keezer project. I can fit 5 cornies and a 20lb co2 bottle in this baby. Six cornies if I had a 5lb bottle.

I need some advice about which would be better...attach the collar to the lid, or the collar to the base. I watched Bobby_m's keezer build videos and see the benefit of attaching the collar to the lid, but the Haier freezer is a little different than the one Bobby_m used. Here is a photo of the way the seal attaches to the lid. It's a little hard to see, but it fits into a groove molded into the lid.

I bought the freezer specifically for this purpose, but I don't know if I want to use liquid nails to attach the collar to the base, although that would probably be the quickest way.

Also..what size lumber did you all use for your collar. I was going to use 3/4 x 5.5" poplar, but that just doesn't see sturdy or heavy enough. I plan on just painting it white for now. The ultimate goal is to make this keezer like Jester369's.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/index11.html#post684593

That's they way the wife wants it. And, what the hell right.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Same gasket set up I had. After cutting the gasket away I used 100% silicone to attach the collar to the lid and the gasket to the collar. The silicone was 1/2 the price of liquid nails and since its clear, small amounts that squeezed out couldn't be seen. Large amounts were easy to trim off with a knife. You wood choice should work great. The lid will add a good measure of rigidity to the collar. you can find finished pics of mine in my gallery.

BlackNotch

Reaction score
If your plan is to make one like Jester's, I would attach the collar to the base. I copied Bobby's rig and I'm very happy with it. I used the 3.5" poplar for my lid.

bad coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How tall are you? Can you lift a full keg above the freezer height +6" without a step ladder?

I'm 6'2 and I put the collar on the lid of my keez. No need to worry about taps, shanks, lines, ect when you're swapping kegs.

I painted my collar first, then used white silicone for the seal to the lid. (I did screw all 4 corners to the lid) You see the silicone at all.

B

david_42

Reaction score
My freezer has the same arrangement. I did a double-wall collar and attached it to the freezer. This shows the basic construction and there are more pictures in my gallery.

culaslucas

Reaction score
I'm currently building mine and am planning on having 2 separate hinges, the factory hinges/springs where the Freezer base meets the collar AND a couple door hinges to attach the collar to the freezer lid. The lid will lock down onto the collar with some window sash locks.

I see a couple benefits to this:

1.) I can keep original weatherstripping in place & just add new stripping between collar and base. Sure, there's an extra seal but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

2.) I can lift up the lid & collar together if I want to swap out a corny OR I can lift up the lid without the collar to easily access air/beer lines. I will be routing my beer lines around the perimeter of the collar to keep it clean.

I believe I recall someone else doing something like this - anybody remember who or how it worked out?

culaslucas

Reaction score
I'm currently building mine and am planning on having 2 separate hinges, the factory hinges/springs where the Freezer base meets the collar AND a couple door hinges to attach the collar to the freezer lid. The lid will lock down onto the collar with some window sash locks.

I see a couple benefits to this:

1.) I can keep original weatherstripping in place & just add new stripping between collar and base. Sure, there's an extra seal but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

2.) I can lift up the lid & collar together if I want to swap out a corny OR I can lift up the lid without the collar to easily access air/beer lines. I will be routing my beer lines around the perimeter of the collar to keep it clean.

I believe I recall someone else doing something like this - anybody remember who or how it worked out?
Shameless bump...