Some help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjtabares

Reaction score
6 gal batch
16 lbs of honey (not sure what varietal)
8 lbs of buckwheat
Cocoa nibs
coffee (or maybe cherries)
vanilla
Med + Hungarian oak
EC 1118

I was looking for some opinions on what type of honey I should use for the 16 lbs, if ec 1118 is the best yeast for this, and the quantities of coffee, cocoa nibs, and vanilla I should use.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Is that 8# of buckwheat or buckwheat honey? If honey, that's going to be a lot of honey. 4#/gal is a bit high. Or do you plan to step feed for a sweet/semi-sweet final product?

It was buckwheat honey, sorry. I was going to step feed, ending sweet/semi-sweet.

Sounds like a very good batch. I would use alfalfa honey. It's robust and will stand up to the other flavors well.

I make my own extract but I would go about 1/8 cup of vanilla.

Oak, I would use last after clearing. I would use 1-2 oz of cubes or 1 oz of chips. If chips then leave in for 3 weeks in a hops bag, cubes go 4-5 weeks.

Not sure on the nibs: I did a chocolate with 2 pounds, ground in a coffee grinder and it didn't turn much chocolate flavor. You may be fine with about that much but leave it in the must for a good 6 months or more.

Coffee- find a good variety that is a good cold press or iced coffee type of bean. Not sure how much you should use, ask the coffee experts. Now if you do Cherries, I would do 6 pounds of black cherries, don't use maraschino. They are not good for brewing.

Matrix

Latest posts

Back