Some help here guys, think I've stuffed this up !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee41

Reaction score
Any advice appreciated?, I've probably got this wrong and using what grains/hops etc I have to hand, temps too high? etc

4 LBS 3oz Domestic 2-Row
2 LBS 4oz Munich Malt
4 LBS 5oz Vienna Malt
3oz Torrefied Wheat

1Tbs 5.2ph added to Mash

Mash at 174F (79C) for 90 mins in 18L water (80C)

Batch Sparged until 25L wort ran off into boiler

Hops:

45g Bobek at 90 mins
20g Saaz at 5 minutes

1 can Lyles Golden Syrup at 60 mins

1 Protofloc at 15 mins

final wort 20L topped up to 23L with cooled boiled water

post-boil OG 1.048 @ 70C

Yeast: Safale S23

FV in garage at 14C – 18C :eek:

your mash temp is way too high, you might stop conversion up there. you need to be mashing at 148-152. I wouldnt go much warmer if you are planning on 90 minute mash.

The 174 mash temp is WAY too high, and too long.

Like 20 degrees F too high. Although, I thought you used Celsius over on that side of the pond.

I would shoot for more like 152-154F for 60 minutes.

Apart from that, the recipe seems somewhat reasonable.

You sure the OG was at 70C?? Were you using a hydrometer or refractometer? If hydrometer, that's 158F, which needs a major adjustment in order to get to what it should have been.. Using the tool in Beer Smith, that means it would have been 1.070 at 60F...

With the recipe as you posted, assuming 75% efficiency for the partial mash recipe, you should have an OG of about 1.083 (at 60F)...

IF you already made this, then let it ride and see how it comes out... I would then brew it again without the extract, just a bit more 2 row to offset, mashing <154F (I would even go 150-152F) and see how it comes out...

BTW, what size can is the Lyle's? 3.3# or 4#? I assumed 3.3#...

yeah, beer Hydrometer at 70c, reading was 1048, Lyles was 454g tin, extract? didnt use any :)

Beer Smith lists Lyles under the 'extract' category... Then puts in the notes 'Liquid Invert Sugar'... Looks like it was a 1# can...

What ARE you trying to make with the recipe?

yeah its invert sugar, trying to get near a Vienna lager recipe
;)

Back