Some Hefeweizen questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
Getting ready to make my first AG Hefe on Saturday and I have a few questions:

1) Is a single infusion mash OK? I've read that this should really be done by decoction only, although I've seen some recipes in HBT's database that were single steps.

2) I'm using Wyeast 3068. It says on their site that "This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%." Is 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy close enough (using an airlock), or should I use a larger fermenter or blow off tube?

3) Wyeast's site also mentions that "High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation." Should I use more than the standard 3/4 cup corn sugar when bottling this?

4) Is it still OK to make a starter using light DME (considering that I normally make at least a 1L starter, and pitch the entire thing)....or should I use some wheat DME just so that I don't throw off the flavor?

Use the carboy, but rig a 1 1/4 " blow off tube. You can get it by the foot at Lowe's.

10Gallon_Brew1.JPG

1) Single infusion mash is fine, 154 degrees is good.

2) Blowoff tube is a good idea.

3) You may want to up the sugar a bit, but 3/4 cup is fine.

4) It doesn't really matter which DME you use, any is fine for a starter.

quickerNu said:
BierMuncher, is that 1"1/4 tube stuck directly into the carboy, or is there some sorta rigged stopper?

I do the same thing, put it right in the carboy, and wrap it with some cellophane (or Parafilm if you work in lab).

Back